2006 Civic EX starting problems

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My brother called me earlier and was having problems starting his car. He had his friend jumping him because his car wouldn't start. The jumper car was on, my brother would start the car, and it'd fire up, but then it'd turn off after 3-5 seconds. He wouldn't do anything, it would just turn off. Then he'd go to crank again and it wouldn't turn on. He'd have to crank 3 or 4 times before it'd start up again. When it would start up, it'd turn off after 3-4 seconds again.

What's the deal? He knows his battery is bad. Without the jumper car hooked up, he's got no lights, no beep, his remote doesn't work, etc. So I told him to start by getting a new battery. He said he doesn't have time to put the battery in until tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong? Maybe just a bad battery? Even if it is a bad battery, I don't get why the car would still shut off after a few seconds with the jumper car hooked up.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Check the battery voltage and test the alternator. The battery is bad for sure, but the alternator might be going as well.

steviezee47

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alternator sounds like its taking a s**t

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
But if the car starts and the battery has juice, the car should still stay running. It'd just be running off the battery and the alternator wouldn't be charging it if it's bad. Right?