2006 Honda Civic ex stuttering and backfiring

Dailymoisturizer

Hello, I have an 06 civic ex 5 speed manual that is stuttering and backfiring with no check engine light. The car will start stuttering and backfiring around 2000 to 3000 rpm, and picks up speed really slow if you step on the pedal hard but if you do it lightly the car will drive fine. So far I have changed spark plugs, MAF sensor and 02 sensor. I took the car to get smogged and the tech told me a few sensors weren't popping up on his computer that either the ecu needed to be reflashed or that it was messed up. Any ideas what it can be?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Be helpful if we had the codes.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ref says no sensors? But you have no CEL? Have you attached a scan tool to the car to see if there are any active codes. Regardless of the CEL:.
Could be a faulty ECU but to be honest sounds more ignition related.

Before replacing parts, check for vacuum leaks. You can use soapy water and spray liberally around sealing points of the intake manifold, throttle body, vacuum lines, brake booster, etc. Avoid spraying sensors connections and electronics. Spray near sensors that attach to the intake manifold to check leaks around sensors. Vacuum leaks can cause all kinds of shitty drivability problems. Vacuum leaks create what is called "Unmetered air" which is air not being metered by the ECU/engine sensors. Thus generally causing a leaner running condition.

Things to consider, check and inspect. Replace as necessary:
Distributor Cap
Spark Plug Wires
Distributor Rotor
Ignition Coil - these go bad on Hondas after a good 15 years of normal use, less if driven hard and in hot climates. They will swell up. Sometimes will even have score marks from faulty grounds due to the coil age and environment.
Fuel Filter - most owners never replace this unless a shop recommends it.

Dailymoisturizer

Thanks for replying but yea car is not throwing a check engine light, I did attach a scan tool, no codes nor pending. I unhooked a temp sensor and the check engine light came on right away. I also unhooked the hose that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold and blew smoke throw it, only had smoke coming out from the throttle body. I did notice at the end of the rod that holds the hood has some some black stains, I want to say burn marks. I'm assuming the rod touched the battery terminal and caused an arc, maybe it damaged the ecu? Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks for replying but yea car is not throwing a check engine light, I did attach a scan tool, no codes nor pending. I unhooked a temp sensor and the check engine light came on right away. I also unhooked the hose that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold and blew smoke throw it, only had smoke coming out from the throttle body. I did notice at the end of the rod that holds the hood has some some black stains, I want to say burn marks. I'm assuming the rod touched the battery terminal and caused an arc, maybe it damaged the ecu? Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
One way to find out is to plug in a good known ECU.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You roll the dice with salvage but most ECU's are just fine. Just inspect the donor car for water damage and intrusion to the ECU. If there is impact damage on the right side foot well/front right of car. Inspect ECU for damage.