2007 Honda Civic EX sluggish acceleration

KristenL

Okay so to start out with, I don't work on my own car, and wouldn't trust myself to do so anyway. But, I would like to see if anyone has had this issue before, so I can stop taking my car all over the place and figure out the problem. I just had a ton of work done on my car, including changing three ignition coils, getting a new converter, new spark plugs, and three fuel injection services for each time an ignition coil was replaced. I also just fixed the valve cover gasket, and got a new oil and air filter. Despite all of that work, my car just isn't as peppy as before. It's very hard to accelerate, and also sometimes idles below 1000RPM, which is very abnormal for my car. I have no idea what the issue could be, or how to fix it. If anyone has any ideas or input, I'd really appreciate it..thank you!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...I don't work on my own car, and wouldn't trust myself to do so anyway.... so I can stop taking my car all over the place and figure out the problem... I have no idea what the issue could be, or how to fix it....
If you're not automotively inclined then it'll be very difficulty for us to suggest remedies being that most processes will require hands-on troubleshooting. Judging by your comments, I can only assume you want to have an idea of what the issue is because perhaps you feels the shop(s) you've been to havent properly addressed your issues. Is that correct?

I just had a ton of work done on my car, including changing three ignition coils, getting a new converter, new spark plugs, and three fuel injection services for each time an ignition coil was replaced. I also just fixed the valve cover gasket, and got a new oil and air filter. Despite all of that work, my car just isn't as peppy as before. It's very hard to accelerate, and also sometimes idles below 1000RPM, which is very abnormal for my car. If anyone has any ideas or input, I'd really appreciate it..thank you!
Did you visit a dealership or independent shop? Have you had any Check-Engine Light codes before or after these repairs? Did you change those parts at the behest of a shop or due to codes? What do you mean by "converter" as there are several parts using that name in part? You'll need to answer several questions like these and more in order for us to get a better idea of your issues. You may just need to track down a reputable mechanic.

KristenL

Yes, that's correct. I was hoping to get some advice here so I have something specific to tell the mechanic to look at, and also so I'm not spending more than I absolutely need to, as I've already spent a ton on repairs.

I went to an independent shop first, where they replaced the catalytic converter, two ignition coils, spark plugs, and did a fuel injection service. Then, a month later, the third ignition coil went out, so I brought it to the dealership instead. There, they also replaced my valve cover gasket, oil filter, air filter, and performed an oil change. Honestly, I told the shops to just do whatever they could to get my car running again. The check engine light came on each time before I took it in, also. I trust the dealership, but unfortunately, the first shop I took my car to has many lawsuits filed against them, which I found out later. So, I'm just worried they messed up my car or something. It's running, but definitely not how it used to.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Unless you know someone you trust at the dealership, you're better off not trusting them. Its the universal rule with few exceptions. Secondly, never tell a shop to "just do whatever" unless you've gone to them for a while and they've proven to be trustworthy.

With that out of the way, did they tell you exactly what the codes read? Did they at least give you a receipt that could have the codes explained? If they did not attempt either, cal them back and ask for an understandable explanation and be ready to write down notes.
Also, don't go back to either shop unless you found out they screwed you and demand what you deserve (we obviously don't know anything yet though) or you'll report them for being sexist. Any reputable shop will explain the issues at least in layman's terms.

KristenL

Well, I guess finding a reputable mechanic these days is almost unheard of. The only reason I brought it to Honda was because I thought they were the best place to work on their own vehicles. Maybe I was wrong though.

Anyway, they didn't mention the exact codes, just that all the ignition coils were failing, which was causing the check engine light to come on. So, I told them to go ahead with that. And they said the fuel injection service needed to be done after replacing each coil, so I wasn't going to argue. I have the receipts, but they don't have the codes listed. Just all the work they did on the car. I probably won't take it back in unless I see a light come on, but it's just frustrating that I've had all this work done and yet still have issues.

Are there some common reasons why the acceleration would be sluggish? Thanks again for all your help, by the way. I guess I really need to make friends with reliable mechanics in the future.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There could be several reasons why you have sluggish acceleration, but without even knowing the codes, not being knowledgeable, & having been worked on by shmucks, theres just not much we can help you with. I suggest you call the dealership or show up and ask for the codes they received. You probably still have some. I believe that should all be in their records, being a dealership.

Ask to speak to the manager and request an explanation of why they changed what they did yet improved nothing. If they contest you, end it calmly, go to sales, and ask them how to reach the highest person running the dealership or a regional manager. You may wantvto save thst until after a reputable shop solves your issue and gives you proof that the dealership shop did you wrong.

Its really unfortunate to hear stories of dealerships just throwing parts at a car, racking up charges, and fixibg nothing. Dont you have family or friends that could recommend someone?

HONDAFAN6987

yes the dealer can tell you what codes there was as it should be on the invoice if you still have it if not they can email you a copy or print another one out...

dancam

Registered VIP
There is a lot that could cause this unfortunatly. Hex gave you a lot of good advice, the best being to ask the dealer why their fix didnt fix it. i will add a couple things. How many km on the car? Is it time for a fuel filter change? How many tanks of gas since this started and how many since the last fuel system service? The cleaners they use can cause poor performance while they are still in the tank if they threw a cleaner in the tank. (May have done it just from under the hood). Best to run the tank almost dry before filling up again. Is it an auto or manual? I think it is supposed to idle around 700-800rpm.
An auto transmission with stuff wrong can cause sluggish acceleration.
So can dragging brakes, when were they serviced last?
Theres a million things that can do this, but ill start with that =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daperez13

Respected
I hate to throw in more bad news and add to the hundreds of reasons for sluggish acceleration. But since some of the fuel components have been replaced with no luck, maybe try the exhaust side. Check the catalytic converter and O2 sensors, also vacuum lines.

Have you ran out of gas and driven the car until it dies out on multiple occasion? Do you check your oil level at least once in a while to make sure it's not low (more frequently if it's leaking) ? Do you warm up your car in the mornings or after it's been sitting for a while or do you rush out of your driveway like a bat out of hell?

All these things can have an effect on acceleration because they can damage components that work together to keep your car in tip-top shape. Have you had a compression test performed? Does the car burn excessive oil or is there black or grey smoke coming out the tail pipe? You'd assume the mechanics would check or perform these things but as stated before, they are not to be trusted.