CV Axle Problem - 2008 Civic

SunDogAZ

2008 Honda Civic 1.8 manual transmission 95k miles. Watch this vid with enough volume or headphones, because sound is the main clue in this puzzle.

A couple months ago I noticed this sound coming from driver front. You can hear it when driving in any gear, and the sound is there when driving straight and also when turning. I don't know if the sound began only when turning and progressed from there as someone else has been driving it for the past several months.

My best guess is that it is the CV Axle, but when I put the car on jack stands today and turned the driver side wheel with my hand, the sound seems to be coming from where the CV Axle meets the transmission, not where the CV Axle meets the wheel. I've heard others say that a failing CV Axle will make clicking or grinding sound when turning, but this sound also occurs when driving straight. And, again, I don't know if it started to occur only when turning and got worse as time went on.

After watching some vids on replacing the CV Axle, I am confident enuf in my repair abilities that I can do that with success, but I want to be sure that it is just the CV Axle and not another part inside the transmission. Trying to save some cabbage here, and also not get ripped off by a shop.

Hopefully the video is enuf to help with a diagnosis. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
When was the last time that same side wheel bearing was replaced? That might also be a good thing to look into.

SunDogAZ

I have had this Honda since it had 43k miles and have not replaced any wheel bearings. I thought about that as a possibility, but would that explain why the sound is coming from where the CV Axle meets the transmission? Were you able to view / listen to the vid I posted?

Thx

SunDogAZ

I took it to Pep Boys this morning for a diagnostic. They said it was the Clutch Pilot Bearing that is worn out and needs replaced. They also recommended a clutch kit and either resurfacing the flywheel, or if needed, replacing the flywheel. Total cost (including tax): $960.

I may get a 2nd opinion, but I feel I can trust the guy that I spoke with.

Thx, I will update with results...