front end rattle noise at 50+ mph: 2008 Civic

rombo333

10/30/2014The front bumper was taken off about 7 months ago and put back on the car. Since that time, at high speeds over 50 mph, it sounds like the nose or something in the front of the car is shaking/rubbing o rlike a dryer in the house during its use. My civic is in awesome shape, it just that the noise bothers me. The car does not pull, it just is this flapping noise which I can't make heads or tails of. I checked the undercarriage and made sure everything is tied together. I thought the front license plate was the problem but can't tell. Maybe the clips are off, I don't know Just looking to diagnose what the noise is so I can re mediate it. Many thanks in advance if someone can help assist with a diagnosis. 10/31/20014 - was able to diagnose the problem. There is a rubber/plastic that sits on the top of the nose, when you open the front hood. The plastic had popped out of the nose because the plastic clips which hold it on broke. So I just needed to pull out the plastic, slide the front part of it - into the nose part of the grill, and reattach with new clips. The noise is now gone! Car is back to 100%.

civic VIshwas

10/30/2014The front bumper was taken off about 7 months ago and put back on the car. Since that time, at high speeds over 50 mph, it sounds like the nose or something in the front of the car is shaking/rubbing o rlike a dryer in the house during its use. My civic is in awesome shape, it just that the noise bothers me. The car does not pull, it just is this flapping noise which I can't make heads or tails of. I checked the undercarriage and made sure everything is tied together. I thought the front license plate was the problem but can't tell. Maybe the clips are off, I don't know Just looking to diagnose what the noise is so I can re mediate it. Many thanks in advance if someone can help assist with a diagnosis. 10/31/20014 - was able to diagnose the problem. There is a rubber/plastic that sits on the top of the nose, when you open the front hood. The plastic had popped out of the nose because the plastic clips which hold it on broke. So I just needed to pull out the plastic, slide the front part of it - into the nose part of the grill, and reattach with new clips. The noise is now gone! Car is back to 100%.
Thanks Rombo. I was facing the same problem ever since my first DIY bumper-replacement project. SO much so that i lost the confidence in my ability and took it to the collision center to get the whole bumper removed and fixed back. I was made to pay for 1.5 hrs labour. But the noise refused to get silenced. That is when i decided to try all my abilities to do a good..................

No... not redo the bumper work myself again..............

...............but instead, Google search. And guess what, I landed up in this page and read the post. Though it was hard for me to know what part in civic is called "nose", once again the Google guru came to my rescue.
In my case, i did a mistake by placing the outer edge of the long-black-plastic-board that sits over radiator cap over the nose, instead of below it. So when i was going over 70mph, the strong wind was blowing between the gap of that board and nose and causing rattling noise.