2008 si problems

Nolaskinny

I'm Hearing a whinding noise when I press on the gas . It kinda sounds like the flywheel but I really have no clue what the sound is .

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

We're going to need some more info than that. Any gear? Light on the gas / hard on the gas / does it matter? Does it happen if you rev it in neutral? Does the sound go away when you push the clutch pedal in? Does it happen going slow or fast? What about within a specific RPM range. Is your CEL (check engine light) on? Stock motor?

The more details the better!

Nolaskinny

:welcome:

We're going to need some more info than that. Any gear? Light on the gas / hard on the gas / does it matter? Does it happen if you rev it in neutral? Does the sound go away when you push the clutch pedal in? Does it happen going slow or fast? What about within a specific RPM range. Is your CEL (check engine light) on? Stock motor?

The more details the better!
2008 Honda Civic si 2 dr
I do not hear the sound when the clutch is ingauged . Mostly hear the sound when while I have the cars RPMs are going up .

Nolaskinny

2008 Honda Civic si 2 dr
I do not hear the sound when the clutch is ingauged . Mostly hear the sound when while I have the cars RPMs are going up .
I've been trying to figure it out for a couple months now on my own and well I'm no car guru Or mechanic .. I don't want to drop the tranny just to replace the throw out bearing if I don't have to unless that's the problem .

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds like a TO bearing or input shaft bearing. My RSX is currently making the same noise right now.. been that way for about a year so far. :/

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It sounds to me like a whirring noise that goes away when I depress the clutch. It's hard to explain sounds via text lol. I can't say for sure it sounds like a flywheel spinning because that in itself shouldn't make a noise.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the whining is a noise that continues throughout the RPM range, it's most likely normal. The 8th gen si transmission has a notorious whine from the factory. Some do it in some gears, some do it in every gear (like mine) and some don't do it at all. Now if you say it makes the noise when you push the clutch in, then the most likely culprit is the throw out bearing.

Pressing on the pressure plate fingers with the amount of force from the hydraulic line will make a bad bearing make a ton of noise. When they get really bad, they can start to make some real nasty sounds.

If you haven't had the clutch replaced in a long time, I'd suggest just going for a clutch kit instead of tearing the trans out for just a throw out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nolaskinny

If the whining is a noise that continues throughout the RPM range, it's most likely normal. The 8th gen si transmission has a notorious whine from the factory. Some do it in some gears, some do it in every gear (like mine) and some don't do it at all. Now if you say it makes the noise when you push the clutch in, then the most likely culprit is the throw out bearing.

Pressing on the pressure plate fingers with the amount of force from the hydraulic line will make a bad bearing make a ton of noise. When they get really bad, they can start to make some real nasty sounds.

If you haven't had the clutch replaced in a long time, I'd suggest just going for a clutch kit instead of tearing the trans out for just a throw out.

If I replace the clutch wouldn't it be just as easy to replace the throw out bearing ?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah but if you're going through all that work, why not.

Nolaskinny

Yeah but if you're going through all that work, why not.

just asking because I'm not having any issues with the clutch , I'm just trying to find out what this noise is without spending an arm and a leg

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just asking because I'm not having any issues with the clutch , I'm just trying to find out what this noise is without spending an arm and a leg
No I understand. How many miles are on it and do you know when it was last done?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have 88650 on it and I have no clue , I bought the car used with 65000 on it
Most likely original clutch then. I'm at 83k and I'm changing mine soon cuse it's been starting to give me problems. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it. Stock replacement are too much.

Nolaskinny

Most likely original clutch then. I'm at 83k and I'm changing mine soon cuse it's been starting to give me problems. It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it. Stock replacement are too much.

Have you priced having that changed out ?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You doing it by yourself or the shop?

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Even if you just do the throw out it'll be roughly the same labor cost since they are gonna do everything minus the clutch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk