2008 Type R GT intermittent dashboard rattle

guyd

5+ Year Member
My new Type R GT has a bizzare intermittent dashboard rattle - sometimes there, sometimes not. I've delayed taking it back to my dealer because it can just as easily be good as gold when they test it, so I've been waiting for it to either vanish completely or rattle all the time. It's from the driver side, sounds like something is loose, but God knows what.

Any ideas?

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
post pics of inside/outside of your car, then we can tell you what the problem is..

guyd

5+ Year Member
Thanks. It was a serious question, but I'll take the hint, LOL.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
most likely you have a loose fitting, maybe a screw, bolt, clip is not fastened all the way, or not even there period.. i know you dont wanna take the time to take off everything and find out, but its a good idea..

now post pics!

guyd

5+ Year Member
Fair enough. I wouldn't know how to take the dash apart anyway, but I reckon I'll take it to the dealer and hope they can find what's going on. Why it is intermittent and not constant is very odd.

Pics:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it probably just something small.. see if you can figure out a certain pattern of noise, when and where does it usually come and when does it leave...

nice car btw, loving the red. any plans for it yet?

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's still under warranty... take it back to the dealer... if you break something trying to fix it, you screwed yourself... if they break something, they still have to fix it/replace it.

After seeing that, I believe I like my Si dash a lot better. Love the outside of the car though.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to take it apart..you just pull on stuff, its all clips lol. but yeah i would find what it it takes to make the noise, then take it to the dealer. buecase if its anything like us they wont even try to look for what it could be if they dont hear it plain as day. or they will say "thats normal"

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take it to the dealer, easy enuff.

For once I don't miss the R not making it stateside, still props to you, it is still bad ass.

guyd

5+ Year Member
Yuh, I'm thinking if they can't hear it they'll hardly bother to find it, hence I was hoping to wait for it to go away or come on constantly.

toneekay said:
nice car btw, loving the red. any plans for it yet?

Beyond driving totally pointlessly for the hell of it, and using far more petrol than is sensible in these mad fuel price times, nothing special.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heres an idea...

ship it to my house... ill fix it for ya no charge.

but the return shipment may be delayed until i get bored with it....

guyd

5+ Year Member
I think the shipping costs would be prohibitive!

Bastard rattle is still intermittently there. Drove to the airport: rattle. Picked up my mum and drove back from the airpot: no rattle. There's alo a bit of a knocking from the passenger seat which vanishes when someone's in it, which I can quasi understand, but I can't understand how one passenger could affect a dash rattle.

Sod it, I'll have to take it to the dealer on the off chance they can do something. If not, I'll be back for advice on how to dismantle the wretched thing myself and damn the warrantly implications.

92h22eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I saw the top gear show where they did a comparisons to last years type R EP hatch and the type R that you have....they were not too pleased with the new one. Did you get a chance to check it out???? They raced side by side.

guyd

5+ Year Member
I saw the top gear show where they did a comparisons to last years type R EP hatch and the type R that you have....they were not too pleased with the new one. Did you get a chance to check it out???? They raced side by side.
Yeah, saw that. Same power, so what? I judged it on its own merits and against the one other car I was looking at, the Focus 2.5T ST. That you would not buy a car because it happens to have only 1 BHP more than its predecessor is ridiculous. Hard ride: obviously. If it's too hard, don't buy it. Limited rear vision: same applies, that's what test drives are for.

Clarkson is a laugh, but a big twit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqN_DDkppc