2012 Civic, grinding and cannot find anything on it

burr007

When turning or even hitting small bumps over 20mph i hear a grinding/scraping noise. Now I have looked on here and found nothing. It happens to both wheels, not always simultaneously. Most of the time it happens when turning at speed and I have looked underneath at brakes, boots, gromets, and for any signs of shavings or fresh metal. Not really sure where to go from here because it is BOTH rear wheels. So even bearings seem unlikely... Can someone give me a direction to go.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

2012, is it still under warranty? If so I'd take it right to Honda.

Are you sure the tires just aren't rubbing the fender / wheel well when you're turning? Are you lowered at all?

burr007

No warranty. It is also stock ride, I feel like it would sound different hitting the fender than this. Plus the noise is more of a metal to metal scraping. Again it is rear wheel

Charles1992

If the noise is hearing at the time of breaking, then your brakes need to be replaced. This is the most common reason for metal grinding noise. Another reason is the failure of CV joint in your car. Anyway, grinding noise is very bad for your car. You need to fix this as soon as possible. You can consult a good auto service company/mechanic to get this fixed. Last month I had my break pedals replaced from http://apexspecialized.ca in Edmonton.

Last edited:

typec

What tire profile are you using? It could be due to wide wheels/tire or fender liner went loose.

ldiaz04

^^^^yea that can be the case. the fender liner but he says it sounds like metal to metal