2012 Honda Civic EX - Alternator only charges when the headligts are ON

vancto

Hello all,

My Honda civic 2012 EX's alternator only works when the headlines are ON.

Voltmeter said my battery is 12.4 V. I turned on the car with headlights OFF, it's still 12.4 V (indication of alternator NOT charging/working).

But as soon as I turn ON the headlights, I get 14.5 V.

Has anyone seen this before? and what did you do to resolve this issue?

Thanks for your help.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The alt doesnt charge all the time. when theres a load on the system it will charge past a certain RPM or under load.. This is normal. Read up on ELD functionality

put your voltmeter away.

vancto

The alt doesnt charge all the time. when theres a load on the system it will charge past a certain RPM or under load.. This is normal. Read up on ELD functionality

put your voltmeter away.
Esotericimage, thanks for your post and I agreed with you that alt does not charge all the time.
2 weeks ago, my civic did not start. I jumped it, it started right away. Took it to Autozone to test the battery. Battery is good
It started fine for 2 weeks but just yesterday, it failed to start again. I jumped it, it started right away. Took it to Autozone to test the battery, battery is good. Also asked them to test the alternator. Result: alternator is good when headlights are on; and alternator is bad when headlights are off.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like an ELD issue..