2014 Civic possible paint issue

Matt'sCivic

I recently bought a 2014 Honda Civic EX-L with 28,000 miles on it. Last week, a noticed there was a small smear-like appearance on the trunk. I took a picture to show to someone who knows about automotive paint, and he said that it's clear coat failure. It's about quarter sized. There's two small spots on the roof as well. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm really distraught by this.

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Judging my the shapes and cracking, that looks like something, such as bird droppings or tree sap, dripped and sat on the paint too long and the sun baked it on to the point that the clear was damaged. I cant tell how deep it may have penetrated but it its superficial enough then it could be possible to wet-sand and buff it out. Visit a local reputable body shop and get their input. An experienced set of eyes will give you the best answer.

Matt'sCivic

Judging my the shapes and cracking, that looks like something, such as bird droppings or tree sap, dripped and sat on the paint too long and the sun baked it on to the point that the clear was damaged. I cant tell how deep it may have penetrated but it its superficial enough then it could be possible to wet-sand and buff it out. Visit a local reputable body shop and get their input. An experienced set of eyes will give you the best answer.
Thank you so much for your input! I've been extremely anxious about this all day. I would've hate to spend $18,000 on a car that the paint job is gonna start going to crap. I really hope your assessment is right.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, definitely take @HeX advice there. Depending on when you bought the car, and from who, paint may still be covered under warranty.

Matt'sCivic

I've contacted someone who specializes in painting Honda's. There's two small spots on the roof, and a VERY tiny spot at the base of the sunroof. Worse case, if the whole needed to be painted, how much would that cost? I'd want it done professionally, so it looks stock. Even if Honda repairs the trunk, my concern is the other panels. I don't want this kind of paint here, that kind of paint over there. I'm really unsure of what to do. I really HATE this is happening. I do adore my Civic, and Honda makes wonderful vehicles. I really wish they'd take care of this paint problem. It's been an issue since the 90's.

Alxndr5120

I've contacted someone who specializes in painting Honda's. There's two small spots on the roof, and a VERY tiny spot at the base of the sunroof. Worse case, if the whole needed to be painted, how much would that cost? I'd want it done professionally, so it looks stock. Even if Honda repairs the trunk, my concern is the other panels. I don't want this kind of paint here, that kind of paint over there. I'm really unsure of what to do. I really HATE this is happening. I do adore my Civic, and Honda makes wonderful vehicles. I really wish they'd take care of this paint problem. It's been an issue since the 90's.
I know what you mean. I just bought a 2014 Civic Si Sedan and I got a few paint issues going as well. Unfortunately, before I bought it, my cousin (the original owner) had left it at his in-laws' house and it got a bad hit on the front. They had gotten a POD and opened the door, which in turn hit the front bumper and it has a nasty hit on it. I would hate to get the paint taken care of just to see 2 different colors on the whole car. Also found some blemishes on the paint, which are barely noticeable, but around the car.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've contacted someone who specializes in painting Honda's...Worse case, if the whole needed to be painted, how much would that cost? I'd want it done professionally, so it looks stock. Even if Honda repairs the trunk, my concern is the other panels. I don't want this kind of paint here, that kind of paint over there.
The only way to specialize in painting Hondas is if they're especially versed in paint matching their specific colors and use their brand of paints and clear coats. "Specializing in painting Hondas" otherwise sounds like BS so keep all this in mind.

Besides that, color matching can be difficult if you have a complex color, so feel free to post the name if you know it and we can give you a better idea of potential difficulty. In the end, it comes down to the skill of the painter and the quality of the products used. No Painter can make cheap products look factory. FYI, if only a portion of the car is painted then it helps to get the whole car buffed so all the clear coat is polished to the same level and reflects the color equally.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you go to a reputable painter (this should be your only option, and like HeX said, specializing in "painting Hondas" sounds sketchy), they should have the tools to make a perfect match. When I had my lip painted, I watched the guy (friends dad, who owns an auto body shop) mix the paint.. I was in awe at how much went into the paint.. it was like 9 different colors on top of everything else. Would have never guessed there is purple paint added to my blue car. He mixed it by weight on a computerized scale, so he was literally mixing it to the drop. Color matched 100% perfect!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you go to a reputable painter (this should be your only option, and like HeX said, specializing in "painting Hondas" sounds sketchy), they should have the tools to make a perfect match. When I had my lip painted, I watched the guy (friends dad, who owns an auto body shop) mix the paint.. I was in awe at how much went into the paint.. it was like 9 different colors on top of everything else. Would have never guessed there is purple paint added to my blue car. He mixed it by weight on a computerized scale, so he was literally mixing it to the drop. Color matched 100% perfect!
Yup. I love watching the color matching process. One example you might find interesting is when I painted my Civic I had to chose what color I wanted the base of my black to be, such as blue, brown, purple, green, red. Even the most basic looking of colors can be more complex than it appears. Paint can get even more complicated when you add in metallic sparkle, and pearls.

'13K24Si

Respected
The 2013 had a recall for paint of certain colors and where on the body it occurred i.e. the hood, trunk, etc. My hood qualified for the recall because the paint started getting "crows feet " all over. One of the issues that was also covered under the recall was a "milky haze" that was supposed to be associated with the trunk. My color is Midnight Pearl Black. I'm not sure what other colors had the issues.