2800 RPM rattle?

Wattsup1

I have a 04 civic ex, 5 speed with about 85,xxx miles on it.

Recently i've noticed that whenever i am at 2800 RPM (in any gear) it sounds like something in the engine bay is rattling?

I'm no expert in the slightest, so please help me out. It's annoying, and i would love to fix it before it becomes worse (if it will become worse).

sr6000

still a D
If it sounds tinny check the heat shields.

brenden5895

ok mine soounds like it does the same and its really not a big deal mine rattels and if i just puch on the pice of plastic that blocks the spedometer it stops idk y

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
What kind of rattle? How loud are you talking about? Have you ever changed your alternator or power steering pump, or taken those belts loose at all? Have you ever changed your motor or transmission mounts?

Wattsup1

Haven't changed any of those parts. And loud enough you cant miss it. Sounds like metal shaking.

Just a few days ago it started doing the same thing in the morning when my engine is at its coldest. at 1400 RPM(in neutral) on a cold start it sounds exactly the same as it does at 2800.. After no more than 15 seconds of being on, it no longer rattles at such low RPM's.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
If no one has ever taken those belts loose then I doubt it would be this but, it could be your belt tensioner has come loose. This happened to me but, it was because a bolt was stripped out on the alternator that also holds the tensioner.

A car has a high idle until it warms up and then the rpm's drop to a normal idle. This is probably why you hear it when the car is first started cold.

Open your hood and try to follow the noise to its origin. This should help you pinpoint what is making the noise.

Let us know what part of the engine compartment or hopefully what specific part(s) that the noise may be coming from.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep sounds like the heat shield to me.. very common issue.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine was doing something similar (although it didn't rattle at higher RPM's). Turned out to be an exhaust hangar bushing that was torn to s**t. The hanger was just dangling inside the metal hook, and vibrating the s**t out of the frame. Annoying, but easy fix. If it's coming from the bay, heat shield would be my first guess. Aside from that, check Any and all bolts for radiator, radiator subframe, intake etc.

BrandonMills

I have also seen the cosmetic outer rings on the flex pipe come loose and just dangle...causing a rattle......but to be somewhat sure about your issue.....its hard to go by your description......50 things can make this sound.....what you think may be metal rattling.....to me could sound like a ticking...like something spinning,