5th Gen Prelude Rear Fog Light Wiring

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been searching on and off since I picked this thing up. I got it for dirt cheap and grabbed an arm rest console switch for it to wire it up.

It seems most people just run them off of their tail lights, but that seems way to "cut corners" for me. I'd really like to get it functioning as properly as I can.

I'm sure I need a relay and a fuse. Here's what I have:

(Hidden wire in bottom right seems to also be black with red spots on it)

What I'm curious on, is if anyone has hooked it up to work properly off the switch, and if so, how it was done. The ONLY thread I could find where a guy wired it into a 5th/6th gen Civic to work from the switch, he used *4* FOUR relays to make it work, which sounds beyond wrong to me.

Anyone have any information on to wire this sucker up properly? I'm even just looking up basic information on the switch wiring, and coming up dry :(

Someone let me know if I'm looking at this the right way?

There appears to be constants between the two diagrams except for the Ground / Ground vs the Ground / Power From Lights.

So I'm assuming (based off the picture of the switch I bought, I posted in original post, starting at 12 o'clock:

1st pin (top red / black) is a constant +12v, connect to the battery, and here I put my fuse.
2nd pin (bottom red / black) where one diagram says unused, the other says ground, I should ground it. Even if it's not used (odd), grounding it can't hurt?
3rd pin (yellow red) is the +12v from the relay. Should the fuse go here instead, or does it make a difference? Or do I need two fuses?
4th pin (black wire to the right) says power FROM lights, or ground. Lost here... Is this the negative from the lights?
5th pin (black wire to the left) says Ground, should be easy to figure out.

I questioning the power to the relay, thinking I'm using two fuses. Someone help me here. This would be the 30. 85 will be ground. I'm good with these two.
86 is + and 87 is -, but I'm lost here also. Am I going 3rd pin (R/Y) to 86 and 4th pin (Blk) to 87?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im no help with wiring but bump for u

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im no help with wiring but bump for u
Appreciate it! I'm thinking of trying my way as outlined up top. It's just been really effing cold out and raining. So maybe today or tomorrow.

Multimeter will be my friend. Will post results!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good luck

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I finally got around to looking at this today while digging through interior parts to install, I found the fog light and switch. I managed to get it to work through a relay and fuse with the switch, but illumination is another story as of now.

The way I got it to work was this:
-> Red wire from light to 30 on relay
-> Black wire from light to 85 on relay
-> 85 from relay to ground
-> Top most Red w/ Black stripe on switch to 87 on relay
-> +12v from battery to fuse to 87 on relay
-> Red / Yellow on switch to 86 on relay

The relay clicks without issues and the light is on, with or without the car turned on (I was testing it with the key out of the ignition). However, I do believe my 30 and 86 are backwards, so I will check on that tomorrow.

The only other thing I need to work on then is getting the switch to work properly with illumination. I need to get power from the car's red w/ blk that illuminates the interior lights when the parking lights are on. I think I need to check my LED bulb and flip it around to illuminate the "ON" indicator.
So the way it seems:
-> The top most red w/ blk should get power from the light, since it powers on the light when the switch is pressed, it would need to light the indicator to say it's on.
-> The red w/ blk that I did not use in this experiment should just be fed from a normal dash light as it's only to light the switch whether the fog is on or not.
-> The two blacks are just grounds to those lights.
-> The red / yellow is my switch that triggers the relay.

EDIT - I got the switch, relay, fuse, and light mounted and wired. The 30 is the power in and the 86 triggers the relay, so I had it correct to begin with. My illumination issue remains, but for now, it works be the switch. It's running from a constant power line, so I can turn it on any time I want,instead of running from an illumination line where it will on flip on if the lights are on (light the front fogs, etc)

Just need to figure out the switch illumination.