6th gen sticky door locks

dkanter

5+ Year Member
So my trusty Civic, which has served me quite well has started to get a bit cranky. The door locks (driver & passenger) are getting sticky when I use the key. The power locks (from inside the car) work perfectly, but when using a key...it's a struggle. So it seems like something mechanical, which is nice, since mechanical is easier to fix.

Sometimes it takes 4-5 tries to use my key to open the driver side door, and it is always difficult to get the damn door to lock. In fact, I've started getting out the passenger side so I can use the power locks to secure everything.

I have looked at the door lock while I'm turning the key and sometimes it just doesn't seem to want to move at all.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

The way I see it, there are probably 2 good solutions:

1. Get a remote entry/exit system (the original dipshit owner seems to have removed it for some reason, wtf???)

2. Fix the door lock so the keys work

I need to do #2 anyway, so I should probably start there. Is this just something I can fix with WD40 or some other similar substance, or will I actually have to replace the whole lock fixture? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

David

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i had a similar problem so i just sprayed the latch mechanism and inside the lock with white lithium grease and its been fine ever since honda does make a product specifically for this purpose but the grease will work fine. spray inside the keyhole then twist the key back and forth then repeat.