7th Gen ECU remaps to conteract hp gained from upgrades to engine for better MPG?!?

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
I already ordered a xtune cat-back system and I want a 4-2-1 header + high performance cat. I have been researching for weeks. I just came across this thread on d-series.org
http://www.d-series.org/forums/7th-gen/115356-header-d17.html.

Someone on the thread posted:
"dont waste your time modding the 05. Any 7th gen made after 03 will notice any mod you do to it after a week or so and the car will remap itself and remove any power you may have gained."

And he went on to post:
"yup, its a learning ecu.
its all in your mind.

I had an 01, i sold it cause i did every bolt on you could possibly do to the car and it still didnt do s***.

if you have gained more then 1hp your lucky."

Is this true am I wasting my money on upgrades?!?

Or is there some way around this like this guy posted:
"false information

any car that gets more breathing room makes the ecu adjust for the new setup, not adjust back to stock.

and a tip for those that want the most out of your boltons without tuning (header, intake, maybe a VERY mild cam) disconnect your battery and pull the ecu fuse, go inside for a meal, come back outside start the car and idle. dont touch the gas at all. once it hits operating temp on the gauge, let it sit for another 15-20 minutes. the ECU is learning the new breathing parameters and since you are not touching the gas, it is preloading the new maps that were calculated into the memory for good. its not gonna burn onto the chip, but every Honda ecu has a backup. even if you chip your ecu and tune it for a turbo, you can make the ecu run on stock maps. its a matter of triggering it. and in this process I just explained, its changing that stock map loaded in memory for all time and adjusting it."

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the computer will adjust to the new conditions it won't go backwards if it did the car would run to lean adding an intake,exhaust,header. but that doesn't mean you will gain much maybe 10 hp if your lucky not enough to notice.

N/A

N/A WorkRacer
So why does this guy say he sold his 01 because the ecu counteracted his bolt-ons.

When you say I wouldn't notice a difference do you mean no one would notice or someone used to having a turbo wouldn't notice. Because I took the air resonator box of my car and the accelerator responds noticeably quicker to me.

also shouldn't I get like 10 hp for intake, like 10 hp for catback, and like 10 hp for Header equalling like 30 hp gain?

emerican

Registered VIP
^ you will not get anything close to thise gains for those boltons on a civic especially on a d series motor.