7th gen worth modding?

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
Ok, So i know you can make the 7th gen look VERY nice. By far it's my favorite body... But what I'm trying to figure out is what you can do performance wise. Can you get... 4.. 5.. maybe 600hp out of it? I'm almost positive you can, but is the amount you spend worth it? Let's say vs a 4th or 5th gen? I'm new to the scene and just trying to see what you kind folks have to say about. Please, any information you have i would be more then happy to take. I'm not looking to make a monster 1k Hp civic or anything... just something to with a little "Wow" factor. Thanks folks.=)

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
only motors you can put in it , is other 7th gen civics, or k series , its worth it if you have the money, if not, 4th and 5th and 6th gens have way more options, you can boost your motor you have now for a lil more fun factor

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
only motors you can put in it , is other 7th gen civics, or k series , its worth it if you have the money, if not, 4th and 5th and 6th gens have way more options, you can boost your motor you have now for a lil more fun factor
Hmm. Just to say an amount... If i plan to dump around 8k on it? Just to say a number... What kind of performance am i looking at?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you have the money anything is possible but is it woth it that can only be answered by you.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you can spend 8k on s**t thats not gonna do anything for your car, or you can spend 8 k on things to make it super fast, like guy above me said thats up to you, you could a k 20 swap and a turbo kit for that kinda money

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You could spend 8k on your current engine and probably hit around 350-400hp if you shop around and build it right.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for 8k you could buy a 4th-6th gen civic, make the body rust free, paint it, drop it, swap it, boost it, and still have some cash.

jdmdv

5+ Year Member
if you decide to go kswap, sell me some left over parts ... haha but yea 8k you can do a great amount of things, my suggestions with 8k woud kswap cause its alot more reliable then boosting a d17, there is barely anyparts for our motor...gl bro

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
if you decide to go kswap, sell me some left over parts ... haha but yea 8k you can do a great amount of things, my suggestions with 8k woud kswap cause its alot more reliable then boosting a d17, there is barely anyparts for our motor...gl bro
Thanks man. I'm gonna look around. If i do decide to I'll let ya know ;)

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for 8k you could buy a 4th-6th gen civic, make the body rust free, paint it, drop it, swap it, boost it, and still have some cash.
Then he would have spent his 8k on an older, less reliable vehicle... which he fixed up when he already had a perfectly good car.

On the contrary, he could boost his current vehicle and have way more left over (if he chose the turbo route.)

I second vjf's estimate. For 8k you could swap in a K-series and depending on your resources and shopping expertise, might have enough money to boost. Turbo K series is a nice platform. It'll give you some nice numbers and will allow for further improvement as your funds increase.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Then he would have spent his 8k on an older, less reliable vehicle... which he fixed up when he already had a perfectly good car.
yes but if he swaps in a new motor and does all the bodywork and such, it will be just as reliable as a car thats newer, the only thing saying its a 90-2000 civic is the ownership, everything else would be practically brand new. either way its his decision

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yes but if he swaps in a new motor and does all the bodywork and such, it will be just as reliable as a car thats newer, the only thing saying its a 90-2000 civic is the ownership, everything else would be practically brand new. either way its his decision
Yes, but then he's stuck with an older body style and he payed way more money. I really don't see your point.

OPTION 1:
Spend ~1-2k and have:
-Newer Body
-Less Work
-D17 engine
-Turbocharge

or

OPTION 2:
Spend ~1-2k + cost of a used 6th or 5th gen civic and have:
-Older body
-More work
-D17 engine
-Turbocharge

Why in the world would anybody pick option 2 unless they have some sort of strong desire for an older body style. I just don't see why you would recommend this course of action for the OP.

ep-hatcher-510

Go away
5+ Year Member
For 8K i would work on the suspension and tires and have tons of fun at a track or autoX, then pocket the remaining money and spend it on myself or save it.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
honestly i love my EM2 but if i had 8,000 laying around i sure as hell wouldn't spend it on a engine swap maybe a down payment on a real sports car ??? i mean unless money is of no object to you.

Lilredrocket

5+ Year Member
Here's the reason I'm looking to dump whatever amount i end up spending, on this car.
1. I love the car. And would love to keep it for a while, be it as a play toy or DD with some power.
2. I have it... Why go get another?
3. I'm about to go into the military and this is something i've always wanted to do. Just never had the cash flow.

Lil' Red is my first car, and it just has that aspect to it that i love. I've drove her for 3 years now, been in the family for since she was brand new. Hope this explains a little more about what I'm looking at.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

On the contrary, he could boost his current vehicle and have way more left over (if he chose the turbo route.)

I second vjf's estimate. For 8k you could swap in a K-series and depending on your resources and shopping expertise, might have enough money to boost. Turbo K series is a nice platform. It'll give you some nice numbers and will allow for further improvement as your funds increase.
Personally, I think that 8k for a k-swap + turbo is stretching it....unless he goes for a small turbo which will kill his gas mileage and he said this is his DD, or if he just doesnt do things reliably. For 8k, I think he could do a reliable k-swap and maybe some MILD mods such as I/H/E and maybe a cam.
honestly i love my EM2 but if i had 8,000 laying around i sure as hell wouldn't spend it on a engine swap maybe a down payment on a real sports car ??? i mean unless money is of no object to you.
This is actually a great idea. OP I know you like your car, but at least try driving other cars out there. Honestly, if I had 8k right now plus my car....I would get a WRX and save the rest for maintenance. You may choose a different flavor.....but at least test drive a couple other cars.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^You can put together a home made turbo for 1500-2k. You just have to shop smart and be willing to use used parts. It's not completely out of the question to do a K swap for 6000-6500. In my post, I said "depending on your resources", because the guy may know someone who will do it for him cheap, or he may be resourceful himself and be able to do it with some buddies.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Right. Not that it isnt possible. But like I stated in my post, to build a turbo that cheap.....it will most likely be a small turbo. Given a small turbo, this will drop his gas mileage significantly, which isnt that desirable as this is his daily driver. Yes, it is possible to do a reliable k-swap plus turbo...and possibly tune for under 8k. Its going to take lots of time and luck, the tune probably wont be from a reputable shop unless he knows the owner, and the turbo will be small thus ruining his gas mileage on his daily driver.

My suggestion is that he builds a better turbo kit, with a bigger turbo to allow for better gas mileage, and gets a reliable build on his D17, with a good tune.....for roughly the same price. He will also likely make better power....or at least get a more desirable powerband as his power will be in the upper RPM's. All this being said.....you are right. If he went K, he would have a MUCH better base to roll off of. If you are strictly limited to 8k total.....I say go turbo D. If you will have more to invest later on....I say go reliable K-swap, then save whats extra and wait until you can turbo that with a bigger, better turbo.