87 Octane or premium (91 or 93)

CivilicOne

Respected
I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this topic -- can the 2014 Civic EX (9th gen?) benefit from higher octane gas in terms of increased horsepower or mileage?

The manual states "Coupe:Use of unleaded gasoline of 87 octane or higher is recommended."

Which suggests higher octane can be used but does not say if there is any benefit.

The Si model demands 91 octane, however. I don't have the Si, but if it's worth the extra 30 cents per gallon to accelerate faster I'll happily do it. The car runs decently at 87 anyway.

Thanks!

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your not going to see any benefits of using higher octane. If it calls for 87 then 87 is fine.

The reason the Si needs high octane is because of its compression.

Save the 30 cents and anjoy your mpgs. I wish i could use 87.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your not going to see any benefits of using higher octane. If it calls for 87 then 87 is fine.

The reason the Si needs high octane is because of its compression.

Save the 30 cents and anjoy your mpgs. I wish i could use 87.
HA! Same here!!

If the manual calls for 87 run 87. Going higher has actually reduced mileage for many people from what I have seen on other forums.

9thgensi

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this topic -- can the 2014 Civic EX (9th gen?) benefit from higher octane gas in terms of increased horsepower or mileage?

The manual states "Coupe:Use of unleaded gasoline of 87 octane or higher is recommended."

Which suggests higher octane can be used but does not say if there is any benefit.

The Si model demands 91 octane, however. I don't have the Si, but if it's worth the extra 30 cents per gallon to accelerate faster I'll happily do it. The car runs decently at 87 anyway.

Thanks!
Hey I just bought the 14 si with 38 miles on it, so ur sayin I should be putting in 91?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Run what it says to in the owner's manual. It should also be stamped on the fuel door or have a sticker of some sort saying what octane of gasoline to run.

ps1man5189

5+ Year Member
Whatever the manual says to put in you need to put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk