88 CRX HF engine mount for dohc ZC motor issue

trojwl

Some years ago I replaced the 1.5L with a JDM DOHC ZC motor. I now want to replace engine mount at timing belt area. I thought all D-series mounts were the same. The replacement I ordered has two holes for bolting to engine bracket. The one on my motor as one hole and one stud. And they really don't line up with holes on bracket.

Has anyone got any info on this and where can I get correct replacement?

thx

I would like to post pics but for some unknown reason there is some kind of "ImageShack" tool with zero instructions.
Nice one guys. Way too many people calling themselves "webmasters".

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
There is also an attachments function if you do not know how to host.

Apart from this, i am guessing that you didn't swap it in yourself?

trojwl

I had a small shop do it many years ago and they are out of business now. But they did an excellent job. Zero issues with the swap (that I didn't cause myself - lol).

There's a million Hondas out there so I can't be an isolated case.

And thx for responding

Warren

trojwl

I think this will take you to pic of my mount

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think you may be over thinking it. If you take that one off the car there will be 2 holes in it just like your replacement. One hole is for the locating "stud" and the other is for the bolt. The stud isn't part of that mount if that is what you are thinking.

trojwl

The stud is welded to the mounting bracket itself. In other words, to attach mount to engine, you would use one bolt/nut assembly and one nut (in addition of course to the long bolt/nut assembly for attaching mount to frame of car.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

This should take you to pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is the same pic you posted earlier.

No mounts have studs in them. At least not any D or B series mount that I have seen. The bracket that is on the engine is the one that has a stud coming out of it and some have 2 studs. They are used as guide pins basically so when you are putting the engine back in you don't have to feel around for a bolt hole.

This picture #9 or #10 (not what is circled in red, that was for something in another thread) on the right side of the pic are the brackets that mount to the engine that have the studs on them.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I figured it would be something like this, I will have to agree with lethal 6 on this though. There aren't any d or b series that have these mounts, so its obvious to say they are custom. Have you tried searching custom mounts online?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I figured it would be something like this, I will have to agree with lethal 6 on this though. There aren't any d or b series that have these mounts, so its obvious to say they are custom. Have you tried searching custom mounts online?
I am almost positive he has a stock set up. What he has pictured (the bottom portion with the "stud" is number 9 in the pic I posted. His mount is normal. The one pictured is a standard d series mount with the 2 holes on the one part and the big horizontal hole that goes through the rubber bushing on the other end.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I am almost positive he has a stock set up. What he has pictured (the bottom portion with the "stud" is number 9 in the pic I posted. His mount is normal. The one pictured is a standard d series mount with the 2 holes on the one part and the big horizontal hole that goes through the rubber bushing on the other end.
I was positive at first as well but what has me in doubt is that he did say that they did not line up. I doubt he had anything that could have warped it. So if it is a stock mount, where did it come from and why does it not line up now?

trojwl

SpeedTechnik, why are you asking the exact same question I m asking?

And did you guys read my posts carefully and look at the pics carefully? It obviously exists as you can see it in the pic.

Lethal6 - just because you have never seen this before doesn't really mean much..

I think you to guys are leading each other down a dead end road.

I really don't think I am the one who is "over-thinking" this.

But I appreciate responses.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP

And did you guys read my posts carefully and look at the pics carefully? It obviously exists as you can see it in the pic.

Lethal6 - just because you have never seen this before doesn't really mean much..

1) Let me clarify my question: Lethal6, is there a specific engine that you suspect it came from? Would it line up and rid op of worries?

2) I have read every single post at least once and understood them in their entirety. Yes I saw your pictures. It only shows your mounts are in existence. This can mean that they might have been crafted to look like oem by the shop that swapped your engine and since they are no longer in existence that could mean your mount is discontinued. Any and all details you have shown us hasn't been enough to say where it came from. The best detail you showed us was the picture of your mount twice. This lead to Lethal6 presenting figure nine of a specific engine with a similar mount. The fact he presented this has me question whether that is the mount you have already ordered, which in turn then left me to wonder that if that is the case why isn't it aligning correctly.

3)Although it seems circular, we aren't necessarily going in circles or into a dead end road. It means that at this point we need more info. Our only lead is figure nine, and I doubt you can provide us with anything considering you didn't do the swap yourself.

4) As far as "overthinking this", you may be. It does not appear you have done any research on your swap or that mount. Considering this and the fact that you let a shop do your swap, I'm lead to believe that you feel everything must align since the shop did it. Not everything will be perfect and align correctly because they might have not done a great of a job as you think, but if you have a mount that is almost identical but you have a problem with it because it just does not really align, then anyone would say you are over thinking it. If you feel strongly about how different they are and how the holes really don't align, why haven't you posted any pictures of the two to compare? Specs? serial, sku, part numbers? I really don't see how we can help when you haven't done your part with the information. we cannot spoon-feed you.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

I guarantee you if you take that mount OFF THE CAR it will have 2 holes in it. The stud is on the bracket that is mounted to the engine and it is just that, a bracket. The engine mount that has the rubber in it doesn't have a stud. NONE of them are designed with a stud in them. Take the mount off the car and prove me wrong if you really think that I am full of s***. I bet you hard money that I am not. The stud isn't part of the mount. I can even see that it isn't in the pic. Again, the stud is part of the bracket that curves down to the left and mounts directly to the block. Your engine bracket is part number 9 in the picture I posted. It has one stud and one bolt. That part ISNT the engine mount, it is what the engine mount bolts to.

Now if yours doesn't line up then it is possible you bought the wrong one or they grabbed the wrong one off the shelf. Perhaps it is for a b-series? You have yet to post a picture of the new mount so I can only guess. As of right now you have only posted a pic of the mount on the car it's self.

1) Let me clarify my question: Lethal6, is there a specific engine that you suspect it came from? Would it line up and rid op of worries?
Don't know, he has yet to post a picture of the new mount. For all I know he has a b-series mount accidentally.

SpeedTechnik said:
2)...This lead to Lethal6 presenting figure nine of a specific engine with a similar mount. The fact he presented this has me question whether that is the mount you have already ordered, which in turn then left me to wonder that if that is the case why isn't it aligning correctly.
The picture I posted doesn't have the engine mounts in it. It has the brackets that mount to the block that the engine mounts bolt to. The engine mounts are in a different schematic. I posted it to prove that the engine mounts themselves don't have studs. The studs are on the brackets to the block. Totally different parts. I have had many d and b series engines out in my day and not one of them has had a stud on the engine mount. They are on the block bracket to be used as guide pins when putting the motor back in so you don't mar up the bolt holes trying to fish around for the hole and it makes guiding the engine in that much easier.

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think I figured it out. Waiting for pics of new mount to confirm suspicion.