'89 Civic multiple issues

olbert64

Hey guys so my rpm gauge and temperature gauge suddenly stopped working along with turn signals and finally the battery died so it wont turn on anymore. I dont know why. I checked all the fuses and they were fine. Please help

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First off, this has nothing to do with DIY stuff. This is an issue you're having, so provide your car details and I will move this into the correct section. Also, you have more than "RPM gauge proplem" so I tweaked your title. Be more specific with our titles and spell correctly for the sake of accuracy. Be aware of these basics in order to increase your chances for helpful responses.

If your battery died then change that first or you cant do anything else. :slap: After that, inspect the gauge cluster and make sure the harnesses are fine. Perhaps visit an auto parts store that offers free alternator testing.

Are your turn signal indicators lighting up at all or there's absolutely no turn signal related function anywhere?

Last edited:

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stopped how? Lighting up? Or reading revs? You check both sides of the firewall fuses?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I vote for getting a new battery first so you can actually diagnose the problem =)

olbert64

I have an 89 honda civic lx and the alternator is new i changed it in december the battery was new feom december as well. The rpm meter stopped reading revs and the temperature gauge stopped as well. Only my hazards work but individual blinkers dont. I dont understand why the battery would just die but I will get a new one soon. My headlights still turn on though and the radio which confuses me the most.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have an 89 honda civic lx and the alternator is new i changed it in december the battery was new feom december as well. The rpm meter stopped reading revs and the temperature gauge stopped as well. Only my hazards work but individual blinkers dont. I dont understand why the battery would just die but I will get a new one soon. My headlights still turn on though and the radio which confuses me the most.
All this shouldve been said in your first post. Now the questions change a bit. By new, do you mean aftermarket, refurbished or from Honda? What prompted you to change both the battery and alternator?

Take the battery back to wherever you bought it and ask for another. No battery should die in 2 months unless something is constantly on and drawing power. Is there anything else youre forgetting to mention, like that you installed a sound system or had other electrical issues prior to December?

olbert64

Well i got the car at the beginningof december. The battery was dead so i bought a new one before i took the car. This was in arizona. Im in Cali and the alternator was changed two weeks after. The radio system on the car already didnt work but i moved it a little and it just started. The ac and heater dont work at all and the started started messing up about four days ago but thats basically it everything else was fine until now.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It sounds like you have a wiring nightmare. I'd start by checking all the grounds for solid connections to unpainted metal surfaces.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i got the car at the beginningof december. The battery was dead so i bought a new one before i took the car. This was in arizona. Im in Cali and the alternator was changed two weeks after. The radio system on the car already didnt work but i moved it a little and it just started. The ac and heater dont work at all and the started started messing up about four days ago but thats basically it everything else was fine until now.
Clearly it wasnt fine, you just dont know enough to identify issues. Again, why did you choose to replace the alternator? If you have subwoofers & amps then make sure its wired correctly, if you know how. Inspect the radio wiring instead of just assuming its fine. Can you turn the radio on without the key?

Another thing about the car is it has a 91 engine
Stop using 91 and only use 87 only. Read why here...
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/octane-usage-guide.229498/

Last edited:

olbert64

The alternator stopped working and left me stranded in San Jacinto. I got the car with that engine and it has a stock radio and i havnt changed it all.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also changed your title because you have way more than just gauge cluster issues. For your own sake, make more of an effort to provide useful details. You've commented 5 times and each time you've admitted details that should've all been said from the start with a useful title.

olbert64

Hello i just removed the gauge cluster (finally) but i dont know what im supposed to check exactly. Help please.

I was told to check the fuses on it but i dont want to take it apart without knowing what im supposed to be looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

olbert64

Hello again. So I was able get the car to start again. Some how one of the wires on the starter had been pulled out. How? I dont know but besides that I changed a fuse and the gauge started working again but now some of the lighting is off on the cluster. I also just had the radiator and the starter changed and I didnt expect anything to go wrong but it did. It started over heating. The fans on the radiator wont turn on anymore which worries me and im not sure if I have a broken thermostat because when I removed the radiator cap and turned on the car the anti freeze blew out every where and after filling it and getting all the bubbles and air out I noticed the the water hoses had no kind of pressure even with the cap closed. I dont know if the thermostat is just stuck or if I need a new one. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Please and Thank You.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
With all due respect, you dont seem to be taking the given advice. You havent mentioned performing any of the suggestions youve received and you havent answered most of the questions posed to you. You also continue to give vague descriptions which dont help & just keep having parts changed without explaining why in helpful detail.

You might as well just go to a mechanic because you seem to prefer changing parts than diagnosing or testing most things first. If Im wrong, then start backtracking by answering everything and adding much more details because as far as I know none of our members are psychic.

Last edited:

Ravendragonslair78

Respected
Flush the cooling system, change the thermostat, replace your cooling fan relay, check all your fuses under the dash and under the hood on the passenger side.

Last edited: