91 Civic D16a8

jaykerr92

hey i recently bought a 91 honda civic sedan with a d16a8 engine in it, im really new to honda motors dont know much about them at all.. the guy i bought it off said it use to be a v-tec and they removed it? not sure if they were telling the truth or not. anyways i was wondering if its possible they were telling the truth and if its possible to make it vtec again?
also ideas on how to get a bit better performance out of it without going overboard with money - i know the simple stuff like performance leads and plugs, k&n pod filter, exhaust ect anything else?
cheers, Jay.

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/resizedh.jpg/

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the D16A8 was not a VTEC engine - they were not truthful

jaykerr92

the D16A8 was not a VTEC engine - they were not truthful
Thanks mate I didn't think it was. Is the d16a8 the original motor for the eh 1991 Honda civic sedan ? Also any ideas for better performance? While keeping it N/A

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks mate I didn't think it was. Is the d16a8 the original motor for the eh 1991 Honda civic sedan ? Also any ideas for better performance? While keeping it N/A
the D16A8 was not available in any car in the U.S. - it is the same engine as the JDM DOHC ZC - in Japan they were just badged as 'ZC' - in they rest of the world they were D16A8 or D16A9, depending on whether they had catalytic converter or not, or they could be D16Z5 (particularly in Europe) - all the same basic engine - not sure what they came in, in NSW, but elesewhere they were available in both the CRX and Civic

is the car in the link to the photo, at the bottom of your 1st post in this thread, an actual photo of your car? - the car in the photo is not what would be a 91 model - it appears it may be the 92-95 EG model and the engine is running OBD1?

better performance all depends on how much money you want to spend on it

jaykerr92

Yep that's my car and the motor, it says on the car itself si 1991 and on the engine d16a8? And not alot of money, I'm not expecting a huge performance upgrade just the little things?