'91 EF hatch suggestions

Whitegab000

I plan on looking at an 91 EF (ED6) hatch sometime soon. I was wondering what should i look for? Is there any weird things that this car has problems with that others dont? Also how are maintenance cost? I plan on doing an engine swap or turboing the stock motor in the car if i get it. which is easier/cheaper? Thanks for answer

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I changed your title of "PLAN ON BUYING EF HATCH. NEED HELP" as the help is obvious or you eouldnt be posting. Please refrain from using all caps. It only takes up more space which shortens the viewable portion of your title in most views.

Whitegab000

I changed your title of "PLAN ON BUYING EF HATCH. NEED HELP" as the help is obvious or you eouldnt be posting. Please refrain from using all caps. It only takes up more space which shortens the viewable portion of your title in most views.
Thank you.

Regarding the turbo option, start here:

What are head and block codes on the engine?

What's the engine's condition?
can i google that? Or do i have to get them in person? I'm 99% sure its the 1.5 liter

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitegab000

You can see the block code on front of engine (e.g. D15B2). You may need to remove the header heat shield to see the head code. Post pics of both.
ok will do. I hope on seeing it today. the guy hasnt replied and ive tried buying this car before but he was being weird before. also do you think turboing is the safer/easier/better option then an engine swap? I would also be open to engine swap then turbo after that later down the road. after I buy the car I would have about 1100$ left over.

Whitegab000

Depends on your power goals. IMO, your budget is way too low to accomplish anything substantial.

When you see the car next, also write down the VIN. Enter the VIN at an online Honda parts website to see what the car was when purchased long ago. Also do a CarFax to get some history.

Don't believe anything the seller tells you.

View attachment 28890
I dont play on trying to get 500hp I at bery minimum to get 150. which is about double stock power. maybe down the road 200/250 area. I want something i can still daily. I knew my budget was on the lower end. You think i can make my power goals with the amount of money I have?

Whitegab000

Can't say at this point because you don't yet know much about the car. However, my feeling is that your budget is too low if you plan to do the job correctly.
What would you say would be the correct budget to be able to do everything correct?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I plan on looking at an 91 EF (ED6) hatch sometime soon. I was wondering what should i look for? Is there any weird things that this car has problems with that others dont? Also how are maintenance cost?
These links apply to the 88-91 Crx, but much of it will apply to the 88-91 Civic hatch as well as they share a similar chassis, identical suspension and engine/transmission,
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=4392

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=44575

I plan on doing an engine swap or turboing the stock motor in the car if i get it. which is easier/cheaper? Thanks for answer
Come up with a power goal and budget, what do you have to spend realistically?

Whitegab000

These links apply to the 88-91 Crx, but much of it will apply to the 88-91 Civic hatch as well as they share a similar chassis, identical suspension and engine/transmission,
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=4392

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=44575

Come up with a power goal and budget, what do you have to spend realistically?
I would like to get between 150-200. if thats within my budget of about 1100/1300 area. more towards 1100 though. I need to daily this car but i have till april 3rd to get the car done or get some stuff done to it.

Whitegab000

If somebody ultimately replies, "yes, that's a perfect amount of money to achieve your goal", will you celebrate because it's true or will you be skeptical and feel that you're possibly being used as a guinea pig in an experiment?
Well I will take almost all information with a grain of salt. Everyone has different experiences. some people may have spent what i have to spend but it was used on cheaper parts and their car blew up. or someone might have used used parts of something. it doesnt hurt getting different opinions. I can also buy some parts now. and save up for other parts later. im not trapped at my 1100 dollars. I can always save up more. Thats what i have at the moment

Whitegab000

Sounds like you have the correct frame of mind. This will eventually also lead you to the conclusion that nobody except you can estimate the budget of your own custom project.
for turboing is a good idea to get a kit? or better to custom fit it?

Whitegab000

Depends on what engine and car you're turboing.
well if i were to boost the stock engine its the D15B1 16V SOHC. I could always swap it out for the b2 version it has 20hp more. 75 to 96. Idk im here to look for opinions. Im not shy to engine swapping. But i would prefer it be a plug and play one. I saw a thread that said most of the d series would just bolt on. but b series and others require wiring work.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Stay away from stainless manifolds. Get an iron cast one.

But that's a cheap kit, they're hit or miss, and usually miss. Chinese turbo... meh. Spend a little more and see if Go-Autoworks has some kits available. You'll get quality parts and good customer service. But be prepared to spend more than $1100. You should spend ~$500 or so on tuning alone. It's not cheap to turbo a car correctly.

Before going out and turboing the car, understand how each part works. It will help you immensely in not only finding the right parts, but troubleshooting when (not if) you run into issues.

Take a look at this link here.

And remember: cheap - fast - reliable. You get to choose two. You'll never get the third one.

Whitegab000

But that's a cheap kit, they're hit or miss, and usually miss. Chinese turbo... meh. Spend a little more and see if Go-Autoworks has some kits available. You'll get quality parts and good customer service. But be prepared to spend more than $1100. You should spend ~$500 or so on tuning alone. It's not cheap to turbo a car correctly.

Before going out and turboing the car, understand how each part works. It will help you immensely in not only finding the right parts, but troubleshooting when (not if) you run into issues.

And remember: cheap - fast - reliable. You get to choose two. You'll never get the third one.
You really helped. I completely forgot about tuning. Especially 500$ worth. I would prefer reliable and cheap. I'm not looking to be the fastest civic on the streets. I would just like a reliable daily that has more than 65hp. My realistic expectations is like 150/200hp

Whitegab000

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/caststarterkit.html How does this look?

Whitegab000

Yeah, that's a solid setup. Similar to the entry kit I used through them back in 2010. You'll still need fuel management (bigger injectors, higher fuel pump), and tuning, but it's a good kit overall!
How are the grams fuel pump and injectors that they have on the website? Should I shop around for a better deal?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How are the grams fuel pump and injectors that they have on the website? Should I shop around for a better deal?
I don't know much about them but I'm sure they're fine. Do some research on them, look up reviews, compare to others. Look into Walbro 255lph fuel pump. It doesn't hurt to shop around.

Whitegab000

I don't know much about them but I'm sure they're fine. Do some research on them, look up reviews, compare to others. Look into Walbro 255lph fuel pump. It doesn't hurt to shop around.
550cc or 1000cc? Im guessing 550cc for now im only gonna run MAX 10 psi more like 6-8