91 hatch, D15b, PM9-A01 ECU... Is that right? help

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
So I just picked up this hatch for $100 and the guy selling it says he knows nothing about Honda's. He bought it off some girl, who also knows nothing about Honda's and it goes on and on. Basically nobody knows anything here but just looking at it I knew it was worth a couple bucks so I took it.

FIrst thing I do is check fuses. Replaced a few that were blown, check. Look timing over, ... well here's where it gets interesting. So my timing marks line up 100% on the 7 o'clock mark which as i'm reading, is not the mark the D15 should be set to. That's a D16 mark which worked perfectly last week when I was setting timing on that black POS EJ2 I traded for an Accord on (info on that in another thread). So, as it sits now, it's timed to the 7 mark and thus... almost starts but dies a second later.

So as i'm looking around the car to see what else is going on (it's too dark to set timing now) I see a pen and pad with some writing. I look at it and it's a check list for doing a JDM D15B install... Say what?! Now i'm curious so I look under the hood and sure enough, it's a D15B non vtec. So i did a quick search online to see the specs and I notice some talk about what ECU to run. I look at what i have here and it's a PM9 which I can't find much info on.

Can anyone tell me if the combo I have here is correct? Motor to ECU. Also, am I correct that the timing marks for D15 DO NOT use the 7 o'clock mark but rather the horizontal marks and "UP" mark actually pointing to 12 (if setting 7 mark, the "UP" mark actually points more at 11 on that d16 i did).

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Also.. Is the D15b a worth while motor to keep? It's the SOHC non vtec which I know zero about.

James315

pm9 ecu is for a dpfi d15b2 5speed dx im not sure on what the correct ecu for the jdm d15b is but im pretty sire its mpfi set up so thats probably why it wont run its only firing two injectors

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
It was timed to 7 as mentioned above so i timed it as a d15 (i guess some 15's and 16's flip flop timing??) and lined the 9 and 3 o'clock positions up with the head. It was only 2 or 3 teeth different. Turned the key and TAADAA... Runs like a rock star! Not bad for $100.