91 lx not starting

joe etheridge

So ive got a 91 ef 4 door its not starting ive replaced the main relay plugs wires coil icm pretty much everything that ive found in doing research on y it wouldnt start. It ran for about a week and on a drive yesterday it started doing the same thing spitting and sputtering like it wasnt getting spark. Then it died i went stright to the distributor and found the bolt came out of the rotor button. So now im wondering if this made it jump time. Any1 have anything on this??

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Highly doubt it jumped time as losing spark wont do that. You can check it bu aligning the timing marks of the camshaft and crank pulley to verify.

joe etheridge

So checked the timing everything is in time. Changed the plugs out today thinking i might have fowled them out. Car still cranks over and bumps like it wants to start when i let off the key. Any1 have any idea whats going on here

risingsun32

Did u try the crank sensor? Ik this could all b a long shot but my car dont start in the correct order but if i switch the order around it will. The code reader says my crank sensor isn getting signal

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What makes you think it is ignition related? Sputtering can point towards fuel as well.

joe etheridge

What makes you think it is ignition related? Sputtering can point towards fuel as well.
Ive replaced the fuel pump fuel filter and the injector is doing its job. When it ran for the short time before the not starting issue when idleing after it warmed up it would sound like it would misfire here and there.

Did u try the crank sensor? Ik this could all b a long shot but my car dont start in the correct order but if i switch the order around it will. The code reader says my crank sensor isn getting signal

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
From what ive read the crank sensor is in the dizzy im thinking it might be going out. From other research ive found if this is the case i'll have to buy a new dizzy.

P
What did the plugs look like?
Plugs honestly looked like crap for only having 3k on them. So ive started over again w/ plugs and bought an ecu from the local junk yard. The car started took it on a test drive had a hesitation when it warmed up. I parked the car shut it off and it wouldnt start again. So im thinking the cps is going out @ this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe etheridge

Update i replaced the dizzy with 1 i found @ the local junk yard car fired right up and is running strong as ever even after warming up she starts right up.. Thanks every1 for the help and comments!