'91 wagon: head swap question

randizzle

New to the forums. Anyways, I just picked up a 91 Wagon. It's all stock. D15b2 and 4 speed AT. Payed 300 for it. Towed the car home and popped off the valve cover only To find that the cam is broken in half. Me and a buddy decided the best thing to do is just replace the hole head because other stuff is more than likely damaged. Well I got to looking and am thinking about a d16z6 head swap and found this amazing write up
http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-d15-sohc-vtec-mini-me-massive-write-up-56k-goodbye-554053/
The write up is for a B7 but my question is, does the same apply for my B2. And if I wanted to swap from dpfi to mpfi this write up contradicts the head swap in the ecu portion.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/39133-diy-dpfi-mpfi-swap.html#/forumsite/20713/topics/39133?page=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you on the head swap, but for 300 bucks you've done pretty well! Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the site. Someone with some more knowledge on the subject should be along shortly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

randizzle

Thanks man. Really appreciate it. This is my third Honda. Before this I had a 2014 FB6 orange fire pearl and a 92 Lude. I love Hondas lol. Anyways, I've been looking around more and was wondering what's the difference between a wagon and wagovan.

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I changed your title to encourage assistance as "New to the forums" just sounds like an introductory thread.

I believe "wagovan" is just a nickname for this particular wagon as its similar to a van unlike other Civic wagons. Thats a rare find for $300. Good luck getting it running.

randizzle

So is this one a ey2? Or ee2? I looked up civic wagon and wagovan and I don't see a difference lol.
What makes this so rare? It's auto non rt and d15.

And thanks for the title change.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So is this one a ey2? Or ee2? I looked up civic wagon and wagovan and I don't see a difference lol.
Again, I believe the term "wagovan" is a nickname for this generations wagon design. Its technically a wagon. As for the codes, I have no idea. Check Wikipedia or search for a Civic code list. Theyre out there.

What makes this so rare? It's auto non rt and d15.
Theyre just not very common anymore, especially compared to the hatchbacks which are abundant. Wagons in general arent high quantity sellers anyways.

And thanks for the title change.
I'm glad to help.

randizzle

Well I assume based on this that mine clearly isn't a "wagovan" by this definition. Because the wagovan according to this is 88-89. So I think it's safe to assume mine is an EE2

I'm not arguing with you by any means. Just going based off of this chart. It makes it appear as though there is a difference between wagon and wagovan.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those 3 digit codes almost always have to do with VIN codes. What does it say in your vin? It should have one of those codes in it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I assume based on this that mine clearly isn't a "wagovan" by this definition. Because the wagovan according to this is 88-89. So I think it's safe to assume mine is an EE2

I'm not arguing with you by any means. Just going based off of this chart. It makes it appear as though there is a difference between wagon and wagovan.
Its no argument at all. After all, I did say "I believe" as I wasn't totally sure anyways. I'm glad you're getting your answers though.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From ye old Wikipedia:

Wiki said:
The five-door wagon received unique bodywork and interior. "Shuttle" in most countries, it was called the wagon and "Wagovan" in the United States; the differences being the wagon having 50/50 split folding cloth fixed rear seats that reclined to four different positions, and the Wagovan having a vinyl single piece rear seat that slid forward to accommodate additional cargo as well as metal bars across the rear side windows .
So yeah, pretty much the same :lol: That's from the 3rd gen page though.... so I may be totally incorrect.

randizzle

Oh ok. So not really much of a difference at all lol. And basically they are all still called wagovans lol. Anyone got any answers for my original questions?

MotorMo

Respected
My memory tells me that I had a fellow mechanic run into issues swapping heads on his D15B2. He ended up reconditioning his. I believe the old school Honda engines, that ran the dual injectors, had a different oil passages and didn't interchange with the 'newer' D series heads. Try it and tell us what you find-