'92 Civic Sedan: shifting isssues

CivicCitizen

I recently purchased a 92 Civic Sedan and was running smoothly. Today, I noticed a rattle sound as i was getting going. Once on the highway it slipped out of 5th gear and then could not put it back in. about a minute later 4th gear stopped working as well. Any thoughts on what this could be? It also started sticking a bit in third so I slow rolled in 2nd the rest of the way home.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you here any grinding or a whining noise before the issue(s) occurred? Have you inspected the tranny fluid level? If you have a tranny fluid leak then it may be that your fluid levels got low enough to insufficiently lubricate the higher gears. That's what makes the most sense to me so far considering it started at 5th gear and proceeded to 4th then third. You can try adding fluid to see if it remedies the situation. If it does, flush then fill the tranny with new fluid (http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/manual-transmission-flush-options.228889/page-2#post-3436340). If adding fluid doesn't help then you may have waited too long to service the tranny and the gears are shot.