93 d16z6 rough start/idle

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
***EDIT: Was going to be a build thread but quickly turned to a bust thread. Any help is appreciated.***

Hey what's up guys and gals? This is my first legit build thread so any input is appreciated.

The start: got a 93 hatch for cheap and drove it daily for a while with plans to mini-me and turbo. After short research, found d15b8 are cabbage and looked to swap. Found a wrecked 94 ex to pull from. Pulled the motor and trans this weekend and am going to clean it up this week with hopes of dropping it in next weekend.

Goals:
Short term - daily drvier mostly stock d16z6, probably exhaust and intake minor stuff while I save for the fun stuff. Suspension, looking and BC racing coils, found em for around $900 heard good things about them. Interior, de-riced! Some real serious racer owned it before me and must have planed on pulling some 12's on the strip with this stock d15b8! Everything else, cleaned up and good for safety inspection (anyone else in Hawaii will get it)
Long term- Built head with supertech internals and bisi cam. Turbo, still researching what trim and setup I want. Looking to get 200-250 HP in the end. Nothing crazy until I build the bottom end too, which as it is now, way down the road.

Couple questions I came up with for the swap. Got the p28 out of the ex and the entire wire harness from the engine bay. Both computers are OBD1 so I would assume it's plug and play but I don't know it the plugs on the bracket on the passenger side of the engine bay will have the connections for the VTEC solenoid. Anyone know about this?

Any other tips on the swap or pitfalls to look out for? Just a D to D swap from EG to EG so everything sould mount up with no major fabrication required, but I know crazy stuff happens.

Thanks for reading. I will get some more pics up this week and keep y'all updated on the progress.

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdandrew77

Subscribed. Car looks pretty decent with no noticeable rust, at least none I noticed in the pictures.
So it has 3 different layers of paint? :lawl:

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
Yeah it got a little in the normal spots, rear quarters and hatch, but other than that pretty clean. Dings, dents, the like but I'm more go than show. Body and paint are pretty low on the priority list.

Spent some time cleaning the motor today pretty solid. I'll get some pics up by this weekend. Had hopes of getting it in this weekend but don't know if I'll have the time.

Thanks for checking it out.

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
So works been crazy busy but the weekend is here so time to get back to the real work. Started pulling the motor from the hatch after work last night. all that is left to pull today is driver side trans-axle and the shift linkage. So that will be out in about an hour today. Then the z6 will begin to take shape and the legendary trips to parts store for all the misc. Z6 ran strong before it was pulled so I don't see any issue immediately but I'm sure something will come up.

I will keep ya'll posted on the progress this weekend and post any issue I have that can't be found searching. Here are some pictures of where we got to last night, the piles of parts I get to sift through to piece it back together, and the Z6 on the ground.

Attachments

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
Alright so the z6 is in and it cranked over and started, idle was a little rough so I let it run for a few to get fuel and fluids flowing again. It still has the rough idle and won't hold at a throttle position. I cleaned the intake and throttle body, as well as IACV and FITV. Injectors look fine, plugs are good, added a grounds to the block and the valve cover. Running out of ideas. It ran strong when I picked it up before the swap. The only other thing that changed was an ebay 4-2-1 header, it might not have the best seal to the rest of the exhaust but I didn't think that would cause rough idle or the not holding a throttle position. Thought I would be able to get it to the muffler shop and get it fixed with a new muffler.

Summary of issue: Rough idle and won't hold throttle position (that is when you hold the throttle it will climb to the RPM then slowly bog down and eventually die out)
Any thoughts?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, car needs air, fuel, spark. getting at least SOME of all 3, or else wouldn't run at all. Would think the stock pump is sufficient for the new motor, so likely air (vacuum) or spark. So, all the grounds hooked up, and you have all the intake hoses/clamps tight? no vacuum hoses missing or loose, all connectors plugged? MAP sensor plugged in? What about the timing? Sorry, you've probably gone over all this already.

born2sleep13

5+ Year Member
Yeah been thru vacuum leaks (none I could find, even with starter fluid). CEL cleared, All connectors have been checked and matched up with the diagram. Voltage good at the TSP. Replaced all ignition from wires to coil. new O2 sensor. new battery. Tested fuel to the rail and cleaned injectors off the rail, all looked like good spray patterns. Compression test was good about 170-180 psi in each cylinder. No blown head gasket. Mech timing is on point. Ignition timing is tough because I can't get it to idle. Tried tapping it back and forth to see a change, doesn't seem to affect it.

Any thoughts?