94 civic engine damage: need advice

melissavwillis

Ok so I have a 94 civic that no longer works. The sparks plug melted inside the engine. Would it be better to rebuild, get another engine, or sale the car? Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
The sparks plug melted inside the engine.

It depends on what happened. Could you explain this a bit more? What happened to cause this or why did it occur? Any other damage? What would the value of the car be TO YOU running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melissavwillis

I drove it home. When I pulled in to the drive way it started smoking. Had someone look at it. Says plugs were melted. No other damage that I can tell but I'm not a mechanic lol. I like the car. It's just one of those things...do I keep and fix or sale.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just based on your posts here. Sell the car and start over.

dancam

Registered VIP
If thats all the info you can provide us no one here can give you a good answer. Your best bet is to tow it to a mechanic shop and get a quote to fix it. That will tell you what you want to do.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Questions to ask your mechanic:

What side are the plugs melted on? If near the wires, replace the wires. If the other end, were the plugs incorrectly / not gapped? Is it every plug, or just from one cylinder? One cylinder only could mean that you have a bad fuel injector, so that cylinder runs lean.. this could also damage the valves.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If thats all the info you can provide us no one here can give you a good answer. Your best bet is to tow it to a mechanic shop and get a quote to fix it. That will tell you what you want to do.

I agree. If youre not willing to do some physical inspection and troubleshooting then theres no way to give you helpful suggestions. Someone needs to inspect and verify why theres damage and what caused it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also added to your title to be more relevant. For future reference, better titles get more attention you need for better answers. Good luck whichever direction you choose to go with this.

daperez13

Respected
melissavwillis,

Do you have someone close to you that knows a little bit about cars?

Go and buy a Haynes manual at your local auto parts (for your specific car of course) and look up how to read spark plugs. Take them all out but keep track of which one goes where and visually compare them to the manual. Take a flash light and look inside the spark plug ports. Hard to tell from that little orifice but try and see if the surface on the pistons look burnt or damaged in any way. Look up how to do a compression test on the Haynes manual and perform one. You will need a gauge to perform this, rent one from your auto parts store. All the cylinders should be relatively close in comparison to one other and this will tell you if the rings are holding compression. This are things you can do before you take the car to a mechanic.

If the spark plugs are truly melted, chances are the valves, pistons and/or rings are bad and you may need a rebuild or another engine.

Have you ran out of gas a few times and attempted to continue driving the car?

Is the check engine light on?

You may have more than just the spark plugs to replace. O2 sensors, catalytic converter, fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors, head gasket, etc.