'94 w/ B16, intermittent low idle/ hesitation LOOK

daytripper

ijuanasauras Rx User
5+ Year Member
OK so I am going to try to explain these symptoms as best I can. I'm sorry for writing a book but this is a really weird problem, so please read and think about this. Sometimes my car runs crappy, but other times it runs perfect. This is what it does when it's not running right: Very low, barely running idle. It will give a big POP every once in a while, even while it's idling. It seems to be down on power. If I am running down the road and let off the gas, the engine will go into decel before I have the throttle closed all the way. And, when Im dipping back into the throttle from decel, i will have to push the gas a little more before it will go to accel'ing Also, sometimes when I hit bumps in the road, the engine will stutter just after I hit the bump. When the car is running right, and I go to start it, it turns over and the idle surges up a bit then settles down to a nice idle. But sometimes I'll start it, and the idle never surges up, it just drops straight to a barely running idle. When that happens the car runs like s**t with the above described problems. If it's idling low, sometimes I will pull out at steady light throttle in first gear, and the engine will just cut out, like the whole ignition system shut off for a second. This is kinda what it seems like when the engine cuts out when I hit bumps too.

So the other day I started the car and it was idling really low. I sat there for a min and just let it idle low, and then, just like a switch was flipped, the idle surged up and then setlled down to a nice idle, and the car ran fine. SO, that made me think that there is something that is failing intermittently, that is causing the low idle and the running like crap. What do you guys think? TPS? IACV? FITV? Maybe the cat? Would anything like that fail intermittently, causing low idle and bad running sometimes? Please help. Thanks. Gen 1 B16A, I/M/H/E, MSD dizzy, supposedly stock P72 ECU.

daytripper

ijuanasauras Rx User
5+ Year Member
Just had a thought and its making me suspect the TPS.. there have been times where i've been driving and it's been running bad and I've thought to myself, "the engine sounds like its confused about whether its on or off throttle". Would a TPS sensor fail intermittently?

RonJ

Banned
CEL codes? Old plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?