1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

95 Civic DX Speedometer Trouble

Discussion in '5th Generation Honda Civic (1992-1995)' started by C1vic_Duty, Oct 13, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. C1vic_Duty

C1vic_Duty New Member

So I've been browsing for a couple of months and haven't been able to resolve anything so I'm making an account and forum thread.
    I bought a 95 Civic from craigslist, test drive it etc. I figured I could work with it and get it road ready no problem. The only issue was that the speedometer/odometer and tachometer weren't working. The guy I bought the car from said they went on the fritz a few years back, and him replacing the VSS hadn't helped anything. I bought a new gauge cluster hoping it would fix things, obviously it didnt pan out.
    So I turn to the experts- where can I go from here? As a broke college student with his first car, I want to keep costs to a minimum. I've replaced the gauge cluster, checked the fuses, there's no CEL, and the guy I bought the car from says he replaced the VSS and that cruise control works.
    Any help is appreciated

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

Only the speedo and tach don't work in the cluster? Anything else?

Does the CEL work? Have you verified the cruise control claim?

3. C1vic_Duty

C1vic_Duty New Member

Everything else in the cluster works fine. I know cruise works, but I'm assuming the CEL works simply because the other lights (brake, battery, etc) do.

4. boofoo

Turn key OFF.

Then turn to ON(II).

Does CEL turn on and then off after 2 seconds?

5. C1vic_Duty

C1vic_Duty New Member

CEL didn't turn on at all, but the SRS was on for a few seconds. Tachometer still not moving. I popped the trunk and that light turned on.

6. boofoo

Check whether the seller removed the CEL bulb to mask a problem. If so, swap a working warning light bulb into that slot. Then check for CEL codes.

7. C1vic_Duty

C1vic_Duty New Member

Wow, you nailed it. There was no bulb back there. I replaced it and turned the key to ON(II), and the CEL turned on for a second, then back off.
    I don't have an OBD reader, but the CEL wasn't blinking anymore after that.

8. boofoo

Reader wouldn't work anyway. Because the CEL turned on and then off, there are no codes.

A common problem is corroded pins in the VSS connector.

The tach problem could be a bad distributor igniter unit or a broken wire blue wire between the distributor and cluster.

C1vic_Duty likes this.
  9. C1vic_Duty

C1vic_Duty New Member

Well, good and bad news. Tach is still not working, but the speedometer kicked on this morning.
    Bad news is that the fuel gauge isn't working now. I appreciate the help so far, but I think I'll head back to the drawing board now. I suppose this thread can be closed.

10. boofoo

By chance or did you do something?

11. Jersey8

Jersey8 B20: Detroit Muscle! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

This.

For the OP: get a multimeter and start probing the wires the boofoo is talking about for connectivity - between VSS and cluster, and between distributor and cluster. Also invest in a service manual with wiring diagrams in order to assist with this conquest.