95 Civic EX - SRS Issue

doguhan

Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster here.

I have (or thought I had) a pretty common problem with my 95 Civic that I am trying to fix. I bought this car as a daily driver to save on gas for when I drive around for work. The SRS light was on and the horn didn't work at the time. So initially I hadn't done enough research and bought a used but working steering wheel and airbag. When that didn't work I replaced the clock spring and now the horn and cruise control work but the SRS light is still on even after I've tried resetting it probably over 10 times now. I reset the sensor a bunch of times but the light stays on after that. I am at a loss as to what it is now and was wondering if anyone would know.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If srs light is on and no horn or cruise control it means your cable reel has gone bad. Basically you need to take off the steering wheel and change the little spinny thing behind it:

So go to your local junkyard and pull one but u gotta remember some stuff
1. MAKE SURE THE WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT FORWARD AND STEERING WHEEL IS CENTERED!!!! most important part.
2. Don't let the reel wheel spin once its off or else it will brake again.
3. Get it off and get the new one on, if you need help with this i'm sure there's a DIY on it if you google.
4.Reset the light like you did before

doguhan

Hey appreciate the response, however I already changed that out and still have the SRS issue after trying to reset it. Wondering what else it could be...

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh well did you make sure EVERYTHING was plugged in? And ur sure the one you replaced it with is correct? I think mine cam on once because I left my seat belt plug unplugged so that could possibly be your problem. Are u resetting it correctly as shown here:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=115880

doguhan

Yep I plugged in everything. Horn and cruise control work now as well. I followed that same guide for the reset. Is there a guide for the seat belt plug?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not really its just right under your seat, first check if its unplugged because it may have just shorted in general as well. You may also want to consider replacing your srs unit itself as it may have failed. Looks like this:

But it could also be a short in the wire to an airbag or something along those lines, hell have you checked to make sure your passenger airbag is plugged in? Theres a lot of things to consider. You'll probably want to purchase a manual and follow the self diagnostics procedure