95 civic having starting problems??

JdmPrncss

I ♥ NYGraFFit :)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm new to this site and very sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section... But I've been having a problem when I go to start my car and my boyfriend and I can not figure out what is wrong with it, we have checked and changed stuff which seems to fix it but then it starts doing it again...

The car is an automatic and when I go to start my car it will start up then cut right off unless I hit the gas. It does not do this all the time, its just kind of random when it does it. Does any one have any suggestions of what could be causing this?? Any help would be great!!

Thanx =)

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any cel codes? (check engine light codes)

JdmPrncss

I ♥ NYGraFFit :)
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No it's not throwing any codes at all! We replaced my fuel pump, ignition wires, and the distributor. And all seem to "fix" the problem then a week or two later it starts doing it again.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like a bad or semi bad main relay. If it is going bad it will intermittently cut in and out. Trust me, I just went through it. 7 out of 10 times it wouldn't start. Replaced the main relay and haven't had a problem since.

Btw the main relay is under the dash by the interior fuse panel, bolted just behind the bottom where your left knee faces. From what I read it has 2 relays in it, 1 controls the fuel pump and 1 controls the injectors.

psychotic_civic

x2...replace the main relay. your problem will go away. this is a common problem with 5th gen civics

Germanican

Hi, I'm new to this site and got a problem with our '95 Civic DX Coupe.

I don't know a lot about cars, so please forgive me for wrong terms or asking stupid questions :-)

If this doesn't fit in here, please feel free to split it and move it to the right area. :-)

Couple weeks ago we had a snowstorm and I was going to start the car. I started, but it shut of after 2 sec. or so. Tried to start it again and it wouldn't go and it smelled burnt on the driver side. A friend of ours checked the car, cause we had to get a new starter in, since the old one had a crack and was loose. Our friend also changed the fuel filter. I have to say, the previous owner of the car didn't do a lot on the car, just the minimum (oil change, new brakes and that's it)
When key is on II the CEL comes on for 2 sec and turns off, I think I can hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 -3 sec and then I hear a click. If you turn the key all they way it will crank, but not start.

And also the A/C is not working. Previous owner said it has a leak, cause she got it charged and the next day all was gone. So is it hard/expensive to get a new A/C put in?

Thanks for your help