96 Civic Communications Error when scanned, Gets no readinds, running rich

Mcgarvie51

i have a 96 civic DX coupe, i just put a 98 d16y7 after i threw a rod in the last d16y7. it has a z6 manifold all properly installed from directions off this site, the problem is its running rich and im guessing that has something to do with the fact that when i plug it in to a scanner, it says communictions error, and then when i do the thing where u turn the car on an it tells you all your info, it says its revving 0k, 0 MAP pressure, coolent temp stays at 4 degrees even if its hot or cold, just 0 everything, car runs fine i drive it everyday, when you stomp it the car hesitates while accelerating and sometimes it runs great an sowemtimes it runs so rich you have to rev it up to 5k just to take off while filling the neighbourhood up with black smoke. ive been messing with this car since i put the motor in it and im tired of i, but this seems to be the last problem im hoping to get some help. dont no anything about the computer other then it says EG on it, it also messes with the IACV , its always opening and closing it for no reason, although ive tried atleast 10 differnt ones and put mine of a differnt car and it works fine, please help

RonJ

Banned
Did you replace the original OBD2 ECU with an OBD1 one?

Mcgarvie51

No, i no nothing about the cars history, when i got it, it had the IACV just hanging but plugged in, it had a z6 manifold and throttle body, it ran like garbage, black smoked and idled weird sounded like a detroit deisel or like it was cammed, i dont no anything about honda ECU's. im just hoping mine is stock.

Mcgarvie51

i guess youll want as much info as you want so here it goes, i dropped the motor in an ran it completly stock with a y7 manifold, ran fine , easy on gas no problems, until one day the alternator belt started slipping and then it sucked a s**t load of oil up threw the PCV vaccume, then i replaced the PCV an cleaned everything up, and while i had the manifold off changing it i put the z6 one on, now this is the stupdity on my part, while running the PCV vaccume to the new mani, i actually used the old PCV as a bend in the vaccume hose, i didnt even realize i was using a one way valve! so it built pressure, then one day it shot valve cover bolts off and and died, i found the problem , fixed it it started right up but its drank gas ever since

RonJ

Banned
Remove the front passenger kick panel so that you can take multiple clear pictures of the ECU. Post them in your thread.

Mcgarvie51

i dont have a camera, is there anything else i could tell you about it in the meantime of me finding a camera?

Mcgarvie51

ive tried that a million times, i dont no if im have some counting impediment, but to me it really looks like it just does constant long flashes without pauses or short flashes, and it goes on forever

RonJ

Banned
If you could post a video, we could read the codes for you.

A constant short blink would be code 1 (primary O2 sensor). A long blink would be code 10 (IAT sensor). The former might in part explain the running rich problem.

Regarding the code reader problem, the data link connector really only has three important terminals: power, ground, and data transmission to and from the ECU. The latter wire and its terminal at the connector and ECU may be problem.

RonJ

Banned
Not having an IAT sensor would certainly throw a code. Definitely fix that. Also verify what codes are actually thrown. Then go from there.

Mcgarvie51

well i have a IAT in the back of my z6 manifold, and i have one siliconed in the end of my cone, but i have no plug for it!? he only plug in my car that fits it is the one for the EVAP purge solenoid and there is no other ones, where should the wires be ocming from? i have a few extra connectors for my EVAP i could wire one to the wires if i can find them,

RonJ

Banned
Check for swapped sensor connectors. The wire colors for sensor connectors are:

IACV = yel/blk, blu/blk, orn
MAP = yel/red, red/grn, grn/wht
TPS = yel/blu, red/blk, grn/blk
ECT = red/wht, grn/blk
IAT = red/yel, grn/blk
EVAP purge valve = blk/yel, red/yel

Mcgarvie51

well, i wired up the IAT an checked the other sensors, fired it up, now it bogs backfires and has a revlimiter at 3400? the IAT is siliconed in the end of the cone