96 Civic dx coupe misfire

riv1188

Cylinder misfire and it smokes alot when i first start it up. I already did the plugs,wires, oil change ,valve cover gasket,distributor cap and the little ignition rotor. CEL on and blinks loss of power and rough idle. The codes are P1300 P0302

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you notice if one of the cylinders had oil in it when you changed the spark wires & plugs? Are you sure all the wires are making good contact? What brand of wires & plugs did you use?

Rudy_JDM

Cylinder misfire and it smokes alot when i first start it up. I already did the plugs,wires, oil change ,valve cover gasket,distributor cap and the little ignition rotor. CEL on and blinks loss of power and rough idle. The codes are P1300 P0302

Code p0302 is misfire in cylinder 2. Code p1300 is for ignition system or misfire. Check ignition coil. Have you done a compression test? Did it over heat before this, possible head gasket leak that led it to this?

riv1188

Did you notice if one of the cylinders had oil in it when you changed the spark wires & plugs? Are you sure all the wires are making good contact? What brand of wires & plugs did you use?
One of the cylinders did have oil in it that's why i changed the valve cover gasket. I'm going to take out the plug that's not firing tomorrow to see if its burnt or has oil and I'll post a pic. Thanks for the feedback

Code p0302 is misfire in cylinder 2. Code p1300 is for ignition system or misfire. Check ignition coil. Have you done a compression test? Did it over heat before this, possible head gasket leak that led it to this?
I haven't done a compression test but i did change the ignition coil about a year ago. And it hasn't overheated.

That's the plug that's misfiring tj

Changed the plug and its still misfiring. Should I change the wire next or just do the compression test first?

Just picked up the compression tester. Gonna do it i in a bit

Rudy_JDM

Post compression numbers, you should know real quick, most numbers should be within relative similar values. Also a dirty egr valve can also cause misfiring, I had a dirty egr valve before and car would misfire under 3k RPM, just clean it first, don't start throwing parts at it

Plug looks ok

riv1188

Post compression numbers, you should know real quick, most numbers should be within relative similar values. Also a dirty egr valve can also cause misfiring, I had a dirty egr valve before and car would misfire under 3k RPM, just clean it first, don't start throwing parts at it

Plug looks ok
Ok thanks. Gonna try and clean that egr Valve today. The weather today is really gonna determine what gets done. Rain off and on. Sucks

riv1188

One of the cylinders did have oil in it that's why i changed the valve cover gasket. I'm going to take out the plug that's not firing tomorrow to see if its burnt or has oil and I'll post a pic. Thanks for the feedback

I haven't done a compression test but i did change the ignition coil about a year ago. And it hasn't overheated.

Changed the plug and its still misfiring. Should I change the wire next or just do the compression test first?

Just picked up the compression tester. Gonna do it i in a bit
Ngk plugs and some autozone wires.

Rudy_JDM

Thanks for posting brother. If the compression is actually 0 on that one cylinder then I would suspect that you need complete new valves. I believe your exhaust valve on cylinder 2 is blown.

Rudy_JDM

Time to rebuild that head bro! I'm positive it is the valves that need work, do a complete valve job with new gaskets and seals.

riv1188

So whats cheaper rebuilding the head or just finding an engine?

Rudy_JDM

Rebuilding the head is cheaper, although it is up to you. How many miles on this motor? Is it original d16y7 motor?

riv1188

Rebuilding the head is cheaper, although it is up to you. How many miles on this motor? Is it original d16y7 motor?
To be honest I don't even know. I bought the car about 2 years ago and the odometer said 129000 and it still says that lol. But i always gave it tune ups and oil changes. I definitely put in alot of miles over the past 2 years. Original motor from what i know.

Rudy_JDM

Wow lol I'm guessing it has got to have over 200,000 by now. That would be 79,000 miles in 2 years. Unless it has been stuck at 129,000 since previous owner had it for a while lol. Up to you brother. I have a 93 Honda Civic has 288,000 on it, and still running. I have rebuilt the head with new gaskets and seals, runs great. Up to you.

riv1188

I'm gonna put it in the driveway for a bit and finish up my wifes car first. I can get a whole engine for like 400 I'm gonna just drop a new one in when I get a chance.