'96 Civic: lowering suggestions

chillen2nite

Hey I just bought a 96 honda civic lx 1 owner car with 90,000 miles on it today I wanna lower the car it's bone stock can I just but lower the car with a set of lowering springs or do I have to buy any other parts to lower it.. I wasn't sure if I could just put the springs over the stock shocks or not I've never really messed with Honda's before

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey I just bought a 96 honda civic lx 1 owner car with 90,000 miles on it today I wanna lower the car it's bone stock can I just but lower the car with a set of lowering springs or do I have to buy any other parts to lower it.. I wasn't sure if I could just put the springs over the stock shocks or not I've never really messed with Honda's before
You could do some research on your own instead of coming into another members thread, hijacking it to ask a question about your car.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I moved these first 2 comments from the other unrelated thread. OP (Original Poster), please keep this in mind for future reference as that behavior is considered thread jacking and is not allowed.

With that resolved, lets focus on your question. As Mr.Baker suggested, please do research before asking questions as this is a very commonly asked and heavily covered topic in this forum. You cannot install lowering springs on stock struts because they are not designed to be lowered and will accelerate their wear to the point of likely lasting maybe another two years. The cost effective way to lower your car is to buy lowering struts and springs. Search this 6th gen. section and you will get plenty of answers and suggestions as to which options to consider.

Start here... http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/search/2762603/?q=lowering&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=19+52

chillen2nite

Very sorry I had no clue I've been trying to figure out how to start a thread an can't figure it out didn't mean any harm

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Very sorry I had no clue I've been trying to figure out how to start a thread an can't figure it out didn't mean any harm

Well, even though many people use tapatalk, I think it sucks. I just stick to online browsers. Even on my phone, an online browser works far better than tapatalk. To each their own, but keep that opinion in mind because its very easy to post through a browser.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP

depends on the drop you want

chillen2nite

I want a 2 inch drop an want to know if I can just get lowering springs an use the old shocks

Lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I want a 2 inch drop an want to know if I can just get lowering springs an use the old shocks
As far as CAN, yes you can. Will it ride well? NO. Will your stock shocks blow prematurely? YES.
Cheapest route? eBay coilover sleeves, or some lowering springs. Better route? Full bodied coilovers.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
We're can I find decent ones at an how much do they cost

Do yourself a favor and research on Google. That's literally the best way you can learn. Search suspension set ups on Honda-Tech, look at other people's build thread and see what type of suspension they are running. You can't expect to ask and just be told all that you need.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP

you'll need to get extended top hats if your gonna go 2in and lower your old shocks won't last long and your ride quality will get worse. most sport struts have shorter body then stock oem design and can handle lower ride heights a bit better. i would suggest you get full camber kit so after you drop your car 2in is rather a good amount of drop and will change your suspension and tire wear very very drastically. some will say your fine without but in reality its not doing you any good, usually does opposite you won't tell right away you'll slowly start to see it over time. if doing any mods to any car.. you need to do it right first time. don't take any short cuts.. because those "short cuts" will come back to bite you one way or another.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Once again...

As Mr.Baker suggested, please do research before asking questions as this is a very commonly asked and heavily covered topic in this forum. You cannot install lowering springs on stock struts because they are not designed to be lowered and will accelerate their wear to the point of likely lasting maybe another two years. The cost effective way to lower your car is to buy lowering struts and springs. Search this 6th gen. section and you will get plenty of answers and suggestions as to which options to consider.

Start here... http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/search/2762603/?q=lowering&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=19+52