'96 Civic Power windows not working

Jack_Maehoffer

Anyone have a wiring diagram handy for a 1996 Honda Civic Si 5-Speed. My power windows aren't working anymore. Both driver and passenger. I'm trying to figure out if relay, Master Switch, Window Motor, or kink in wiring is the cause.

Thanks in advance!!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I took the liberty of shortening your title from "Wiring Diagram 1996 Honda Civic Si Trying to diagnose Power windows not working" because its very long & that length will usually work more against you than for you.

Have you inspected the power window control module? Its a blue box in the driver door. Thats usually the issue. You mentioned everything but this part.it shouldnt be hard to find at a junkyard or on eBay. Good luck.

Jack_Maehoffer

Thanks I'll check it out. Somebody told me to use a paper clip or pliers to bypass the master switch. Anyone have a diagram to know which spots to touch on connector for up/down. Don't want to blow fuses or relays. I was told this is a good way to figure out that the switch is bad and relays are working!!

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Did both stop working at the same time? You can check the switch with a multimeter. I'd check the driver's door first. Check for voltage first with the key on then test continuity when operating the switch. The harness unplugs from the assembly so it's pretty straightforward.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe that blue box your talking about HeX is for power locks not windows. If both failed at the same time then it's wiring (connector c556 or c557) for the door or its the master window switch. Check your window lock switch to make sure you didn't turn the lock on on accident.

Jack_Maehoffer

I did voltage checks on the plug that goes to master switch. With key on there's only voltage coming from A1. With the window down pressed I get voltage on A8,A3,A4,A5,A12. Passenger window button on master switch didn't do nothing, just voltage on A1. I don't know where to proceed from here!!

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe that blue box your talking about HeX is for power locks not windows.
Oops. My bad. I guess it been a while. Im glad you caught my mistake.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure if this is the exact one but this should help you out, if it's the wrong wiring then you can find this in the fsm

What do you mean with window down pressed you get voltage on all those wires? Do you mean with a jumper wire in the 12p connector to make the motor run down? If so then you have bad wires and one wire is feeding battery voltage to the other wires (most likely the door connector)

Last edited: