96 Coupe SR D16Y8 or 90 Civic with D16Y5??

TheBanzaiBandit

Hi folks, I'm new to this site and this is my 1st post!

I'm currently the owner of a 96 civic coupe SR with the D16Y8 engine. I love this car and would never have considered selling or swapping it until I came across a matt black 1990 Civic, originally a 1.4 but had a D16Y5 engine fitted a few years back. The owner has done some serious work on it and claims it's putting out around 170bhp. I got talking to the owner and we've remaind friends ever since then. Today I got a call from him asking if I was interested in his Civic as he was looking to sell it after 14 years of owning it. When I told him I didn't really have the spare cash to hand I was told that he'd be interested in my 96 Coupe and if I'd be up for a swap. As things stand I've told him I'm interested but would obviously want to go over his car with a fine tooth comb and take it fir a test drive.

I really want to know what you guys think as I'm meeting him tomorrow!

Should I go for the swap if everything appears to be ok!?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
170hp in a hx motor? unless he's boosted or has put in $XXXXXXX i dont see how thats possible

TheBanzaiBandit

I thought 170bhp would be unlikely! Supposedly the engine has been ported and polished?...do you guys know anything about that?

CHYEAHMAYNE

I'd keep it if you love the car as much as you say you do. Also, 6th gen has always looked better imo.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Why would you want to trade an EK for an EF??
That makes no sense.

emerican

Registered VIP
personally i would keep your current car if it was me.
If you do swap then you have to trust all of his work and 170 wheel or crank and is it NA

khmernese

oh when you say swap you meant trade right? i was going to say that makes no sense. haha . id keep the coupe. unless you like the older generation and it has a good body. imo 6th gen definately looks better. its probably the only generation civic i would own. actually its the only generation i owned lol

TheBanzaiBandit

Thanks for all the replies guys! The only reason I was tempted was the fact that the older gen civics are a dying breed here in the UK, I've always liked them. I've had a good think about it and I'm going to stay with my coupe for various reasons, I've invested to much cash in it to get it looking the way it does, I know it inside and out and as mentioned before I've not got a clue what's been done to the other one...I'm not looking for any unwanted surprises if you know what I mean! Guess this was a moment of madness!!

Thanks again!