'96 CX: turns over, doesnt start (Intermittently)

molin

I own a 1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback. The car never had issues starting. Always started immediately.
I left it sitting for 3 weeks without driving it and now it has an intermittent start issue.

I go to start it and it turns over maybe 20 or more times and it either finally starts or doesn't start at all.
In order for me to get it to start right away from a cold start I have to put the key to the 2nd position to hear the relay click and the fuel pump engage. After that it starts right away.
When the car is warm and has been running for a while it doesn't seem to have a problem and I don't need to
put the key to the 2nd position.

This is what I have done so far:

I reset the ECU, checked the fuses, checked for spark in the spark plugs. Checked the ground engine wires.
All those are ok. I replaced the Main relay and still same issue.

It seems like when you turn the key right away to the start position for it to turn over (3rd position) the relay is not kicking in in time to prime the fuel pump. So in order to bypass I have to turn the key to the 2nd position and wait to hear the click from the relay and then the sound of the fuel pump priming. It then starts right away. Not sure why this is happening.

Also I forgot to mention but one time when it was running it just turned off without notice. Its like the relay stopped working yet the relay is ok. Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Costa

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I own a 1996 Honda Civic CX Hatchback. The car never had issues starting. Always started immediately.
I left it sitting for 3 weeks without driving it and now it has an intermittent start issue.

I go to start it and it turns over maybe 20 or more times and it either finally starts or doesn't start at all.
In order for me to get it to start right away from a cold start I have to put the key to the 2nd position to hear the relay click and the fuel pump engage. After that it starts right away.
When the car is warm and has been running for a while it doesn't seem to have a problem and I don't need to
put the key to the 2nd position.
This should not be done as it just wears out the starter. And this is what you should always do anyways. If allowing the lines to prime eliminates the issue, then you likely have a fuel delivery issue.

- Do you use quality brand gas or whatevers the cheapest?
- When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? It may be clogged and restricting the fuel from going in easily.
- Have you performed any type of fuel system cleaning? Your injectors may be clogged.
- Are you getting an engine codes?
- It also possible your fuel tank is full of crap. Do you tend to drive all the way to empty before refilling?
- Whats your mileage? In your case KM.

molin

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes I don't do that as I don't want to kill the starter. I only did that when I first noticed the issue because I couldn't start the car.
I just never had to put the key to the 2nd position. I could just turn it all the way and the car would start pretty much immediately.

Just some answers to your questions:

-I have always used regular gas which is for my car. You think I should fill it with premium to clean things up a bit?
-The fuel filter was maybe changed a year ago. I am not to sure. I can double check to see when it was done last.
-I haven't performed any fuel system cleaning as of late.
-No I am not getting any engine codes. When plugging in the OBD2 reader it syncs with ECU but no codes are presented.
-No I always fill up when my tank is about 1/4 left.
- My car has about 275000 KM

If my fuel filter is clogged or the injectors are clogged could this give the my fuel pump issues priming? I feel like its something to do with my started trying to get the relay going?
Mind you I did mention that my car turned off when it was running. It was like I ran out of gas.

thanks again for your reply

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
275,000 KM = 171,000~ miles for those curious. Maybe you're on track and a relay may be the issue. However, I find it odd that its never an issue when you allow the car to prime. Have you done anything to it lately, prior to this issue? Maybe you have a slightly loose ground somewhere. Thats been a common culprit this week on the forum.

And do NOT ever use premium fuel in an unmodified engine that recommends regular. It does not clean your car at all as higher octanes need higher higher tempts to combust in the engine.

molin

Sorry I thought I mentioned that I replaced the relay already. The car is doing exactly the same thing after replacement. I know it is odd. As soon as I hear the click from the relay and the fuel pump prime it starts right away. Again the car did shut off once like it ran out of gas when it was running. So thats concerning. I didn't do anything to the car before this started happening. Only that it wasn't driven for 3 weeks because I was away. And its parked outside. I checked the main engine ground cable and it is a bit corroded but is ok. Is there any other cable to check?? Weird thing though is when my car is warm the car starts fine even without priming first.

Ok I will definitely not use premium

molin

I just realized something. When I turn the ignition to the 2nd position to prime the fuel pump it doesn’t prime right away. The car beeps, beeps, beeps, after the system light goes off then the car primes. That can’t be right. That is way too long don’t you think?
I’m going to do a test again tomorrow to see when the car is warm if it does the same thing or it does it faster. If it does it faster then would that be the ECU (computer) taking a long time to get the system to prime? If so then that doesn’t make sense because I thought that the relay triggers the ECU? Or is it the other way around?

molin

I have figured out the issue. It was the ECU (computer) I replaced it and everything tests A-ok. Thanks for the help. And for anyone reading this who has the same issue then this may be of help.

cheers

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It sucks when that happens, but at least you figured it out. Did you open the old ECU to se how it was damaged?

molin

It sucks when that happens, but at least you figured it out. Did you open the old ECU to se how it was damaged?
Hi, I did open the ECU but I couldn't see any damage. I got the replacement ECU from a wrecker and it only cost me 30 bucks. So saved quite a bit of money =)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congrats on the deal.