1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

97 civic ex auto wont rev over 1000 rpm barely runs

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by Ej8civicex, Jul 3, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

Can you give more details about the tach jumping.

I didn't see any difference with the primary O2 sensor unplugged.

The engine seems to be misfiring, so it's perplexing that no misfire code is thrown. Hooking up an inductive timing light could reveal whether spark is intermittent.

Was the CKF sensor near the crank gear installed properly?

Does your code reader show any pending codes?

Did you check for a clogged cat? The crack in the e-manifold has surely destroyed the cat.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. boofoo

List the wire colors for each.

3. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

The tach would pop half way up and drop back down.

It's hard to see in the video but it smooths out a little at wot with it unplugged.

I believe so I couldn't feel to much adjustment when reinstalling it.

I got p1350 I think it was, it was for the o2 sensor, and it stayed after I plugged it back in.

I checked when I first got the car, I dropped the cat and the rest of the exhaust and started the car with no different in performance.

Map:yellow/red, green/white, red/green
    Tps:green/black, black/red, yellow/blue
    Iacv:orange, yellow/black, black
    O2:green/black, white, black/white, black/yellow
    Iat:red/yellow, green/black

4. boofoo

P1350 isn't a Honda Civic code. Please recheck and post.

Post the VTEC and ECT sensor wire colors when you have time.

Hook up an inductive timing light to each plug wire to see whether spark is intermittent.

5. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

P0135

Vtec blue/black, black

Ect green/black, red/white

6. boofoo

Not seeing any sensor connector swaps.

For P0135, check whether fuse 15 is blown.

Was this before or after the current problem arose?

7. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

The code was from running the engine with the o2 unplugged for the video.

After the current problem. I bought the car running like this. A month ago maybe 6 weeks.

Im still waiting on my timing light being returned to me but I might go pick up a cheap one tomorrow

8. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

Completely off topic and I'm not trying to get troubleshooting on another problem but I thought I'd throw is out there so the information is known, the transmission drives forward in reverse, neutral and rolls forward in park until the brakes grab. Any way that could affect the engine??

9. boofoo

Adjust the gear shift cable.

10. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

It doesn't change anything I unhooked the cable and moved the shifter on the transmission itself to neutral and it pulled forward

11. boofoo

Given you did not properly adjust the shift cable, how could you possibly know? See service manual.

12. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

So it's been busy and hectic and haven't had much time to do car work. But I dropped a bottle of octane booster in the tank and let it idle for awhile. The car was running the same for about 3 minutes and then bam idle cleared up and smoothed out to 600 and I was able to rev it up to 2000 rpms. And no more shake and misfire sounds. The car is outside idling right now but I think someone put something in the gas tank ie water or something like that.

I'll be back with more updates

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  13. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

So the car starts up very fast on the first crank, and idles smooth and even at about 700. I took it on a short drive, only 300-400 feet and parked it back in the driveway. The car drove good with a hesitation, like i had to give it a little more throttle than expected for the low speed but it responsed to the throttle changed and shifted at 2500 rpms. The driveways pretty slanted and now with the car facing uphill it slightly pulled forward when you rev it up in park. So I'm hoping the tranny is acting as some sort of brake or load on the engine and not allowing it to rev up freely.

Tomorrow I'm adjusting the shift cable using the service manual.

14. boofoo

15. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

So I adjusted the cable by the service manual and have the same results. The car pulls uphill in park when you give it gas. Drives forwards uphill in neutral, and doesn't move in reverse uphill but will on flat ground.

It shifts very hard at anything above 30 percent throttle

16. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

Risked driving the car to work this morning. Short 3 mile drive took all the back streets. And about half way I got a cel. Had my scanner already plugged in and read them when I got to work. P0700 and p0715. Transmission fault and input/turbine speed fault

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 4:27 PM
  17. boofoo

The VSS is required for proper auto transmission shifting. Fixing the VSS code may fix the shifting problem. Check for corroded pins in the VSS connector.

Was the D4 light in the cluster blinking while driving? If so, jump the service connector to pull the transmission code(s).

Also do at least three drain-refill cycles using Castrol Import ATF.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM
  18. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

I don't recall the d4 light flashing. Sorry I posted the wrong code the first time. I got p0700 and p0715. I was gonna do that and try and clean up the linear solenoid as well.

Is the d4 light suppose to come on with the key and then go away?

19. Ej8civicex

Ej8civicex New Member

So I just jumped the service connection and got 1 long and 5 short flashes on the d4 light

20. boofoo

Read the troubleshooting procedure for code P0715 in the service manual.