97 Civic hard to cold start....strange symptoms

bgaviator

97 Civic EX:
The first morning it got really cold this fall I went to start my car and it was cranking strong, but just not starting up...after a few seconds of cranking I would get a "ker-cher, ker-cher". I then turned the key off, tried again, and this time gave the gas pedal a couple of nudges....finally it caught and sputtered up.....car ran fine then. No issues with engine while driving. Once the engine block is warm, I have no issues re-starting the car.
If the car sits in the cold temps for about 3 hours, I have the problem again. I have had the battery checked out...it is fine....I looked at all the spark plugs....they appear good....in fact, the car just had a tune-up in the spring.
The other day when trying to start the car, during the "ker-cher" moments my malfunction indication lamp came on the dash. I used my step-fathers diagnostic computer and it said Cylinder 2 misfire.
Today I noticed an interesting phenomenon that I stumbled onto my accident......when trying to start the car this morning, as soon as I heard the "ker-cher" I let go of the key, and the car started right up. I have tried this 3 times now today and each time it is consistent. If I let go of the key when I hear that "ker-cher" sound the car will start. So based on this, what would be causing this, and only when the engine is cold? Thanks.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Next time you go to try to start the engine while it's cold, turn the key on to just the 'on/run' position before trying to crank it... let the fuel pump run it's two seconds until it stops, and then try to crank it.