97 dx build: best mpg & power possible

googlemechanic97ek

so i have alot of thoughts on a build for my DD i have acura mesh rims and a short ram intake im waiting to install , but as far as the engine goes would new internals be worth the price , ive heard a y8 manifold is better but is it worth the time my goals is to maximize power and mpg and i now thats a oxymoron ive stripped probably 20 or 30 lbs , and i want to drop it a inch 1.5 at most any spring recomendations or any advice besides turboing or swaping id be more that happy with 115-120 whp ive done research and i just dont want to throw money in a hole

its a d16y7 and a mini me swap is a option but id rather not

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
yes the y8 manifold is better its doesn't have the throttle body facing the hood it face to the passenger side like every other honda motors as for the new internal part go you don't need new one if your looking to make just 115-120 hp you would just be wasting chunk of money. your stock one are good. there is a saying ... " if its ain't broken... don't mess with it". you can go with the mini swap just swapping the cylinder head plus you'll have vtec. you should also replace the fuel filter in case you have done so yet.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So i have alot of thoughts on a build for my DD. I have acura mesh rims and a short ram intake I'm waiting to install. As far as the engine goes, would new internals be worth the price? Ive heard a y8 manifold is better but is it worth the time? My goal is to maximize power and mpg. I know thats an oxymoron. Ive stripped probably 20 or 30 lbs and I want to drop it an inch or 1.5" at most. Any spring recommendations or any advice besides turboing or swapping? Id be more that happy with 115-120 whp. Ive done research and i just dont want to throw money in a hole.

Its a d16y7 and a mini me swap is an option but id rather not.
What have you concluded? You seem to expect to reach 115-120whp without a mini-me swap yet you haven't explained how you intend to do so. So what research have you done? Also, a short ram intake will do nothing but improve sound so save your money and put it towards a K&N drop-in filter.

Suspension wise, I suggest Koni Str.t struts on Tein H-tech springs (~1.2" drop).

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Neuspeeds and Eibach lowering spring are good to just as good as Tien but cheaper price tag

googlemechanic97ek

and dear HEX I appreciate your input but with all do respect your a smug a*****e who cant crack 40 mpg on a ek which isnt hard adleast not with a d16 nonvtec and youll probably get butthurt and kick me off the form if i knew the answer i wouldnt be hear id be driving my car , your not a mechanic i know that for a fact sp keep your opinions to yourself

Last edited by a moderator:

googlemechanic97ek

and my answer would be a stroker kit and d16y7 have got better mpg with a short ram i already have a drop in spectre fiter , but i dont have access to a dyno or any body to see if it would be worth the 3000 $ investment

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
and my answer would be a stroker kit and d16y7 have got better mpg with a short ram i already have a drop in spectre fiter , but i dont have access to a dyno or any body to see if it would be worth the 3000 $ investment
they have a stroker kit for d series?!?!?!

googlemechanic97ek

and HeX i live in south alabama you wanna take it to track be my guest , if i had a conclusion why tf would i be here i said if a mini me was the only option than yeah i would but if i can build the block and keep it n/a then why would i do that

googlemechanic97ek

P.S i know itd still be n/a with a mini me but ive seen results with people making more power with out vtec the cams diffrent and beefier in a non vtec engine and a engine is gas operated a motor is electric bet you didnt know that

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
most poeple don't realize the non vtec motor was tuned to have more torque to compensate for not having vtec.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
also all the high hp 8sec civic have roller rockers which was designed to run only the vtec lobe and because of the setup you no longer need tehe solenoid to activate vtec since its already in vtec at all times making it pretty much like a non vtec

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
dang....if that was the case i would opt out for the b18 can't go wrong with bigger displacement i have g22 in my civic right now, g22 is the F22 single cam block with h22a dohc vtec head

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and dear HEX I appreciate your input but with all do respect your a smug a*****e who cant crack 40 mpg on a ek which isnt hard adleast not with a d16 nonvtec and youll probably get butthurt and kick me off the form if i knew the answer i wouldnt be hear id be driving my car , your not a mechanic i know that for a fact sp keep your opinions to yourself
Tone down the attitude because its unnecessary. You were unclear so I asked your to clarify yourself. If there's anyone to blame its you for lacking details. I couldnt care less of your nonsensical insults as they have no merit. You're hear for suggestions so respect the forum and do a better job of explaining yourself from now on if you expect to get helpful responses. You've already shown a lack of effort in other posts so asking you for further details is necessitated in order to answer correctly.

If you actually did research then explain so members dont waste time explaining whatever you may already know. You're hear requesting free advice from people offering their time to help so show some appreciation for it and cut out your smug attitude.

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
Lol, who is an ass?
If you have done research at least tell us what you found, why you arent happy with it and what more you want us to tell you. And if you cant handle certain members then say right off the get-go that you arent interested in hearing from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HeX

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and HeX i live in south alabama
That explains it :crazy:

you wanna take it to track be my guest
He wants to challenge the self-proclaimed well-known-for-gas-sipping stock HX to a race... :rolf: Focus on your engine already, you troll.

if i had a conclusion why tf would i be here i said if a mini me was the only option than yeah i would but if i can build the block and keep it n/a then why would i do that
Again, if you'd be clear and provide details from the start then there would be no misunderstandings.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Couple of different options for your engine. First one is doing a swap (I believe the cheapest swap is a B20 which comes from a CRV), or you could do a mini me swap with a Y8 head and a Y8 air intake. As for suspension, I'd personally recommend getting full body coilovers. I'd stay away from new struts like Tokico and slapping on lowering springs or coilover sleeves. With full body coilovers you get to change ride height without changing spring compression or shock compression.
Also remember that bolts on don't give you much HP/Torque gain. Here's a good link for D series engines:
http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/d-series-upgrades-huge-hopefully-will-expanded-upon-261161/

googlemechanic97ek

Couple of different options for your engine. First one is doing a swap (I believe the cheapest swap is a B20 which comes from a CRV), or you could do a mini me swap with a Y8 head and a Y8 air intake. As for suspension, I'd personally recommend getting full body coilovers. I'd stay away from new struts like Tokico and slapping on lowering springs or coilover sleeves. With full body coilovers you get to change ride height without changing spring compression or shock compression.
Also remember that bolts on don't give you much HP/Torque gain. Here's a good link for D series engines:
http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/d-series-upgrades-huge-hopefully-will-expanded-upon-261161/
thanks for the info I'm thinking about doing the ebiach proplus kit but I'm not sure if my dx lcas have sway bar mounts but the ex lcas should be interchangeable right ?