97 EK sedan project

streetlifestyle

This car has been in my family ever since but it was kept stock until i got it.

D15B 3stage VTEC with CVT tranny
All engine parts are stock.

I am planning to upgrade to a b16a but i am seriously considering building the internals.
I want this car to be a fun daily driver but mean enough to at least keep up with a stock b18.
I need to keep transmission since my wife will aso be using this vehicle.
Also keeping this build NA.

Any advice???
(im a noob in engine builds)

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've you're going to stay NA you should definitely go DOHC. While it's possible to get power out of a SOHC motor, it's way too costly to be practical without boost.

streetlifestyle

I've you're going to stay NA you should definitely go DOHC. While it's possible to get power out of a SOHC motor, it's way too costly to be practical without boost.
thanks.
Ive heard the same opinion from my friends.
I have decided to go with a B16A engine and use the tranny from the B18C.

Will be using these engine mods:
S2 pistons
Mugen gasket
S2 cams
S2 70mm throttle body
S2 intake manifold with AEM CAI and power filter
S2 power headers

Trying to achieve 175-200 whp

any advice guys??

CivEX_00

5+ Year Member
well idk where your gonna get a b18c auto trans...CVT is auto but a b16 with those mods and cams i dont see why you couldnt reach at least 175whp.

CO671

Registered VIP
thanks.
Ive heard the same opinion from my friends.
I have decided to go with a B16A engine and use the tranny from the B18C.

Will be using these engine mods:
S2 pistons
Mugen gasket
S2 cams
S2 70mm throttle body
S2 intake manifold with AEM CAI and power filter
S2 power headers

Trying to achieve 175-200 whp

any advice guys??
Are you going to put the engine together yourself? What are your funds/budget.
I don't want to offend you, i can't say s*** because my cars slow and I may not know what i'm talking about, but don't you think you're just listing brand-name parts for no reason? From what i've seen, cross-over OEM parts do just fine. Mugen Headgasket? Oem is fine, same with all the skunk2 products. I mean unless you're sponsored or representing them, I would say that OEM parts from other engines/vehicles can do just fine. You'd be spending much more money than necessary to get the power you want. To each his own though.

Mods are more than that, do you know what engine you're getting anyways? H or B? Also have to take into consideration which transmission, ecu, etc; etc; etc; etc;

Then again i don't know what i'm saying.

streetlifestyle

Are you going to put the engine together yourself? What are your funds/budget.
I don't want to offend you, i can't say s*** because my cars slow and I may not know what i'm talking about, but don't you think you're just listing brand-name parts for no reason? From what i've seen, cross-over OEM parts do just fine. Mugen Headgasket? Oem is fine, same with all the skunk2 products. I mean unless you're sponsored or representing them, I would say that OEM parts from other engines/vehicles can do just fine. You'd be spending much more money than necessary to get the power you want. To each his own though.

Mods are more than that, do you know what engine you're getting anyways? H or B? Also have to take into consideration which transmission, ecu, etc; etc; etc; etc;

Then again i don't know what i'm saying.
hey man. i know what ur saying. im trying to get the car s2 certified hence the use of their parts.
Unfortunately i dont know squat about building engines so my friends are helping me with this build. Im using a B16a with a B18c tranny. I may use a chipped OBD1 ecu. We will be using B18c internals as well.

My budget is 4500 usd max

i dont NEED to use those brands so show me some alternatives:D

ZeroMech63

You dont have to build the b18c tranny, im guessing thats what u meant when u said "b18c internals" A light flywheel and clutch will do depending on how "fun" u want it to be, but at the same time if the wife is gonna b driving it too then if the tranny is in good enough shape u can save the $ and just get a short shifter

streetlifestyle

You dont have to build the b18c tranny, im guessing thats what u meant when u said "b18c internals" A light flywheel and clutch will do depending on how "fun" u want it to be, but at the same time if the wife is gonna b driving it too then if the tranny is in good enough shape u can save the $ and just get a short shifter
i actually meant that i was using the transmission from a b18c engine instead of the stock b16a transmission. Im keeping the car automatic since the wife is not too good at manual driving.

When i said b18c internals i meant that we would be taking parts from a b18c engine and swapping with some from the b16a.

CO671

Registered VIP
hey man. i know what ur saying. im trying to get the car s2 certified hence the use of their parts.
Unfortunately i dont know squat about building engines so my friends are helping me with this build. Im using a B16a with a B18c tranny. I may use a chipped OBD1 ecu. We will be using B18c internals as well.

My budget is 4500 usd max

i dont NEED to use those brands so show me some alternatives:D
$4,500 is fair enough for a whole stock pick up and drop. Buying all those Skunk 2 items though are just going to throw your spendings higher and higher i think. Do it right the first time so you don't have regrets of not throwing in that one part in early stages of the swap. That's how I'd do it, then again my cars slow and i don't really know what i'm talking about. Good luck!