97 LX Emissions failure - No Check Engine Light

ebbs306

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 97 LX (no VTEC) which is 100% stock. It fails NY state emissions miserably, and on top of that, it runs fine when I first start it, and then after the engine warms up it is alot more sluggish and much noiser. This leads me to believe that it is a sensor acting up when the engine conditions change. I recently changed the air filter, plugs, wires, dist cap, o2 sensors, and checked out the catalytic converter, which appears to be in good shape. The check engine light is not on. I am thinking now it is the MAP sensor, or the CKP sensor, but both are expensive. I was wondering if anybody has any idea. Thanks in advance

ebbs306

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also, the muffler, midpipe, and frontpipe are brand new, replaced in may. the manifold/converter was $500 from the dealer, soI havent replaced that unless it becomes necessary.

JCV2000

Dirty South Side
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Perhaps the fault is in your fuel system? Have you looked into bad injectors, a goofy idle setting, or crappy pump or something? See if its running rich or lean, that might be usefull.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try replacing the pcv valve and check the fuel injectors for gunk.

CTYankeeboy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have had one fail emission testing with a bad O2 sensor even though there was no check engine light.

Craig

civickidd99

not fast, but it's paid 4
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What about the cat? You said it gets noisy, a worn cat will cause some noise and fawk up an emissions test!

ebbs306

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i looked at it, and it looked ok. being a manifold cat, all i was able to do was look inside the hole with a flashlight. it didn't look like it was jammed up or black or anything like that.

9civic7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have the readings from the emissions test. Im a state inspector in MA so I might be able to help.