97 LX wont stay running

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
so i get a call from my girlfriend and she was driving to class and her car just dies on her. she says her battery light went on for a second or so and then the car just died. it turns over and stays started for about 5 seconds and just shuts off. does anyone have any idea what this could be. she just had the ignition control module, spark plugs, wires, distributor, and fuel pump replaced not too long ago so i dont think its that and i dont think it would be the alternator and i havent been able to look at the car yet so please give me some ideas if you have any on what it could be. thanks. its a 1998 civic lx, d16y7 automatic

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Could be a bad or loose wire to the alternator.. that was my problem.

venomaccord

5+ Year Member
well its one of 3 things. no fuel, no spark, or the timing jumped way off... i would put my money on the rotor inside the distributor.

venomaccord

5+ Year Member
to check the altenator get a volt meter from autozone (like 20 bucks) put it on the setting dcv 20. see what the battery reads when car is off..should read about 12.8 +/- .5 or so. then start the car and see what it reads then should read around 14.. if you get a reading just a little above what ur battery power was at before u started ur car ur altenator is bad =) hope that helps a lil bit

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to check the altenator get a volt meter from autozone (like 20 bucks) put it on the setting dcv 20. see what the battery reads when car is off..should read about 12.8 +/- .5 or so. then start the car and see what it reads then should read around 14.. if you get a reading just a little above what ur battery power was at before u started ur car ur altenator is bad =) hope that helps a lil bit
Dont they check alternators for free at auto zone...

RonJ

Banned
When the engine dies, the battery light goes on, so I'm not sure the light is telling you anything.

When the key is turned to the ON(II) position, does the CEL remain on or turn off after 2 seconds? If the light remains on, pull the CEL codes as described here.

You might consider replacing the fuel filter, but the best next steps are to check for spark and listen for whether the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II).

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
i can figure it out when i get to the car and yes autozone does check alternators but we cant get the car home until the f***ing stupid city workers stop hasseling her and get it towed back here and thanks ron j very helpful!!

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
from the description she gave me it sounds like the same problem i had when my alternator died. but my car never started back up and ran for 5 seconds and shut off. after it died from loss of battery power. it wouldnt even turn over. and its only been about 8 months since her new fuel pump, distributior, ignition control module, plugs and wires were done so i dont think its the distributor.

mosaic_hardflip

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
usaully when an alternator goes bad it will not start back up because the battery would be dead. if it were an alternator problem the car would still continue to run until the ignition system and fuel system plus whatever else she had running like radio etc. had drained the battery. it sounds to me like a fuel issue because if it were spark it prolly wouldnt start and even if it did it would run like s**t. my first guess would be fuel pump or filter causing the motor to lose fuel pressure

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
what about the fuel pressure regulator?? the car has been running great and all of a sudden just shuts off? the filter it hasnt been changed in a while so ill just do it anyways im headin over there now so ill let you guys know how it goes and what CEL codes show up thanks everyone you guys are GREAT!!!!!

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
car wont stay running

okay so today my girlfriends car died and ive just gotten the chance to look at it. i changed out the old fuel filter, it was really dity pure blackness came out of the old one. with the new one on the car stays running for a little bit idles high as soon as it starts up but when its about to level off on normal idling rpm's it bogs out and dies. then it starts for a second or two and just shuts off. what could be the cause of this? the fuel pump, plugs & wires, ignition control module and distributor are new. it just doesnt want to idle or stay running. please help!!

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes?

Does adding starter fluid to the throttle body allow the engine to continue running? If so, you have a fuel problem. One possibility is that the fuel injectors are clogged with gunk from the fuel filter.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
no CEL codes and the CEL goes off after 2 seconds. its weird that they would all clog like that even if they were clogged the motor would sputter not run fine and then jut bog out by itself and shut off. this is pissin me off now since i gotta drive my car in this nasty hell hole and wreck it. im gonna unplug the ecu later tonight when i go back over there and try and find some codes again. anyone else have any ideas?

RonJ

Banned
...its weird that they would all clog like that even if they were clogged the motor would sputter not run fine and then jut bog out by itself and shut off.
It's risky to ask people to randomly guess what the problem is. You need to do the troubleshooting.

Again, put some starter fluid into the TB. If this keeps the engine running, then you have fuel problem.

Also pull the plugs out and check inside the cylinders. Are the cylinders flooded with fuel or dry?

Check for spark and spark quality.

Check the mechanical timing.

Compression test the cylinders.

venomaccord

5+ Year Member
here try this take off ur distributer cap clean the ends on the inside take off the rotor and clean that...yes i know its newer but if there is moisture in there it will make them have corrosion on them.

RonJ

Banned
because its supposed to put out 14 or high 13.... if you have a battery lets say at 12.8 and its reading 12.9 or 13.0 ur not charging ur battery:cool:
The engine cranks and starts briefly, which does not fit well with a charging system problem.