97 LX wont stay running

94civickid

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive done this i just position an open fuel line in a snapple bottle and only turn it over for a second.... obviously with the bottle mounted in a stable way... in fact.. lol i used to take gas out o fmy car for my lawn mower doing this..
yea i would recommend the fuel return line at the end of the fuel rail it will show that the fuel rail and injectors is getting the fuel

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
it better be the fuel pump that would make me sooo happy!!! sad as that sounds it would keep me from running in circles. if its flowing through good im gonna have to start all over with the electrical system and man i hate doin that!!!

RonJ

Banned
OP: Please stop making multiple different threads on the same topic. All three threads on this same topic have now been merged into this single thread.

Last edited:

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
sorry man wont hapen again!! so i forgot my starter fluid at home so i couldnt try spraying that into the throttle body to keep it running but i checked the fuel line to the fuel rail and its definitely getting gas and the fuel pump is pumping. i took the distributor cap off and theres a lot of blue corrosion on the points and a bunch of blank and blue chunks inside there is also corrosion on the rotor. i checked for spark as well and had orange spark checked number 4 cylinder and seemed like it was sparking at the right time. however today was pretty humid and gross for being winter and the car didnt start up at all. it sounded like it wanted too but no go. also there were a couple cranks were it sounded like there was no compression kinda its hard to explain. im gonna clean off the points and the rotor and see how that works. could the injectors be bad? or no power going to them? the plugs were kinda dry though

RonJ

Banned
...i took the distributor cap off and theres a lot of blue corrosion on the points and a bunch of blank and blue chunks inside there is also corrosion on the rotor. i checked for spark as well and had orange spark checked number 4 cylinder and seemed like it was sparking at the right time.
This is likely the problem. Focus on replacing all damaged components inside the distributor, and you may be good to go. The orange spark additionally suggests that the coil in the distributor may have been damaged as well.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
okay so got a new cap and rotor and it has good spark now but still no gas got a light to check the power to the injectors since she didnt want me checking with a volt meter which woulda been easier gas is getting to the rail but the plugs are dry now when i jump the ecu all the lights stay on and i red that this could be signs of a bad ecu? if theres no power going to the injectors that means its the ecu right?? main relay clicks when the key is in on position and pauses until the fuel pump is done priming then clicks again.

RonJ

Banned
okay so got a new cap and rotor and it has good spark now

Do you now have bright white spark at all four plugs?

...but still no gas...got a light to check the power to the injectors since she didnt want me checking with a volt meter which woulda been easier...gas is getting to the rail but the plugs are dry

Are you saying that all four injectors have power?

...now when i jump the ecu all the lights stay on and i red that this could be signs of a bad ecu?

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL remain on steady both with AND without the service connector jumped?

if theres no power going to the injectors that means its the ecu right??

The ECU does not directly supply power to the injectors. You would first consider the main relay if there is no power at the injectors.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
Do you now have bright white spark at all four plugs?

no its orange but strong

Are you saying that all four injectors have power?
not sure yet will know by tonight, so far its either the injectors or the FPR stopping gas from getting to the pistons

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL remain on steady both with AND without the service connector jumped?
no without the connector jump the CEL comes on and turns back off, with it jumped all the lights stay on and the SRS flashes once

The ECU does not directly supply power to the injectors. You would first consider the main relay if there is no power at the injectors.

The main relay clicks once with the key in the ON position, after the fuel pump primes the main relay clicks once more.

RonJ

Banned
no its orange but strong

Listen carefully. Orange spark almost surely means the coil is blown. Replace it and the engine will almost certainly start.

no without the connector jump the CEL comes on and turns back off, with it jumped all the lights stay

This means there are no codes -- all is fine with respect to the ECU.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
cuz the plugs are dry and its not firing anymore doesnt even sound like its about to they are bone dry,whipe them off with a towel and start it pull em back out they still have a bit of lint from the towel on them

RonJ

Banned
cuz the plugs are dry and its not firing anymore doesnt even sound like its about to they are bone dry,whipe them off with a towel and start it pull em back out they still have a bit of lint from the towel on them
Again, an engine won't run on orange spark, so the coil surely needs to be replaced. This is not unexpected considering the damage you described inside the distributor.

Regarding the lack of fuel in the cylinders, do you have battery voltage at all four fuel injector connectors with the key in ON(II)?

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
yea there is power to all of them i checked with a volt meter and put a test light on them and they are all getting power

RonJ

Banned
There's a device called a noid tester that will tell you whether or not the injectors are pulsing. This way, you'll know whether the ECU is working properly to tell the injectors when to inject fuel into the cylinders. If the injectors are pulsing but there is no fuel getting to the cylinder, then the injectors may be clogged. Have you measured the fuel pressure?

RonJ

Banned
gotta get a different adapter to check the fuel pressure but thats next
I can't help but think that the badly clogged fuel filter may be a sign that the fuel injectors are clogged. You also should remove the injectors from the rail and inspect them.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
alright ill do that too!! yea im thinkin thats right ive never seen a fuel filter that bad!! if this was my car this would have never happened!! i forgot to check if the injectors pulsing but the car started up for a little bit today this is really weird!! ill check the spark color again since thats easy, pull the injectors and see how they look!!

vtec4me

5+ Year Member
Check the Main Relay on passenger side behind the glove box. Its a common problem and I'm surprised that no one mentioned it. The main relay on ebay is between 20 -30 bucks and even cheaper if you can find it at a junkyard.

RonJ

Banned
Check the Main Relay on passenger side behind the glove box. Its a common problem and I'm surprised that no one mentioned it. The main relay on ebay is between 20 -30 bucks and even cheaper if you can find it at a junkyard.
Why do you think the main relay may be the problem? The problem does not seem to fit well with a bad main relay because (1) the fuel pump primes, (2) the fuel injectors have power, and there is (3) spark at the plugs and (4) no CEL.