1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

98 Civic CX multiple misfire...

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by nohandbrake, Nov 12, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. nohandbrake

nohandbrake New Member 5+ Year Member

Thanks boofoo, that makes sense. Can you tell by these three photos if the mechanical timing is off? These were all taken with the engine cold.

All the marks on my crankshaft pulley are white b/c I had to fill them with chalk to see them at all.

It looks like from my manual the two TDC marks on the camshaft pulley are supposed to line up with the cylinder head at the same time that the rightmost (of the four) mark on the crankshaft pulley is lined up with the gunsights? The first two photos are showing that my setup isn't quite there (my camera angle isn't perfect but pretty close to straight on).

The third photo is a picture of the camshaft pulley when the rightmost (of the four) mark on the crankshaft pulley IS lined up perfectly with the gunsights.

Let me know what you think, I super grateful for you sticking with me!

Attached Files:

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

The mechanical timing is clearly off.

Remove and replace the timing belt, as well as the tensioner and the water pump.

Also check the crank and cam oil seals and oil leakage from the oil pump while the belt is off.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  3. civteck

civteck Respected

Id say 2 teeth off

Sent from my boujea ass phone

4. nohandbrake

nohandbrake New Member 5+ Year Member

Hey boofoo,

Well I just took it into a very highly rated shop here in town to have the timing belt replaced. He agreed that the mechanical timing was off by one tooth. When he looked at the belt and the tension he said both looked great and said that most likely the belt was installed off one tooth (years ago!). He did not recommend replacing the belt, tensioner, water pump, etc.

So he recommended just correcting the timing and also replacing the spark plug wires b/c they were corroded. So that's what we did.

The car drives so well I can barely believe it. The idle issues are gone completely, no misfires, no stuttering acceleration, and of course no CELs. What's more though, I had an acceleration issue (accelerator pedal would "catch" for the first 5 degrees that I pressed the pedal, then "release" and accelerate suddenly) that I thought was a sticky throttle body that I never mentioned here or got around to fixing. It was very annoying. But as it turns out I think it was related to the timing because the acceleration is buttery smooth now, every single time. The plug wires have also fixed a flickering headlight/instrument panel issue I've also had for several years and just put up with. So all in all I'm pretty stoked.

I want to say a huge thanks to you boofoo for helping me work the problem as far as I could. I learned a ton about this engine and have much respect for you guys giving your time to help us out. For a week there I thought about doing the timing belt replacement myself, but in the end that crank bolt talked me out of it!

5. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

:thumbs up

6. civteck

civteck Respected

Id buy the man a beer, just sayin. Bet it feels like a new car good job, any work in progress pics?

Sent from my boujea ass phone