98 civic dx water leak problem

Joeyd8199

IMG_3562.JPG I have a 6th gen 98 civic dx with a d16y7 and I noticed my engine was over heating and when I noticed I had no water in my radiator I put more water in just to notice there was a leak in this spot on the engine. I don't know too much about engines so can someone please tell me what this part of the engine is and how I would go about replacing it. It's not any of the hoses I already checked but it's leaking from the bottom of this part that connects all the hoses. IMG_3562.JPG

Joeyd8199

That's the thermostat housing. It could be leaking from the thermostat seal or from those nasty looking hose connections.

Do you have water or 50:50 coolant in the radiator?

View attachment 29344 View attachment 29345 View attachment 29346
At the moment I'm just using water because all of the water I put in the radiator just leaks out within 10 minutes anyway so it's just been water. But I got a new thermostat housing and connecting pipe from the junkyard and I attempted to take out my housing myself. But I can't seem to get the connecting pipe off the water pump. Is there a certain way I have to twist or something? There is no bults holding it on so I'm assuming it twists off.

Duke_Bartlett

Are you sure the problem in the thermostat? First of all you need to check the branch pipe that leads to the engine.