1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

98 civic ex low idle

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by Tristin6946, Jun 18, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Tristin6946

Tristin6946 New Member

I have a 98 civic d16y8 that is hard starting when its cold. When it starts it idles about 700-800 rpm. Its lacking alot of power and horrible gas mileage. On the highway i have to limp it to 40ish mph and put it in 2nd gear(automatic) to get enough power to get to highway speed. I replaced plugs,wires,MAP sensor and the TPS. When i replaced the tps i tried turning it to get it to the .05 volts closed and i could never get a reading from it. I also took the catalytic converter off to see if it was clogged but it isn't. I'm wondering if it inst getting enough fuel or if its over fueling. It also overheats alot sooner than it ever did. I dont know if it is related or not but i have to use 2nd key to get it out of park,the button on the shifter dose not compress like it should.

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

1) Post all CEL codes thrown.

2) Reset ECU.

3) Run engine/drive car. Which CEL codes return?

3. 98civex

98civex New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Check fuel pressure, if it's overheating with this issue it could be running too lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CincyCivic

CincyCivic New Member

I was having similar issues just last week, my RPM was set to 300 my buddy said- put it up to 700 now. Also led me to find that I had way too much freon in my tank.