98 civic ex multiple idle issues

kurt.reeder88

I have a stock 98 civic ex with d16y8 that I cant get to run right. Since I first bought the car on cold starts it doesn't want to stay running and idles rough unless I give it some gas for about twenty seconds or so then it idles really rough until warm. Second issue is that after it's warm It hits an rpm wall and surges between 1500-2500 while throttle is applied, but if I give more throttle to pass the 2500 mark it climbs rapidly. I changed the head gasket, all valve cover gaskets, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, plugs and wires, and thermostat. I also bled the cooling system. When I unhook the connector from the iacv nothing happens and I've tried cleaning it multiple times so I'm thinking I need to order a new one? Only codes I'm showing p0505, p0335, and p0141. I also replaced the knock sensor but I'm still showing a code even after resetting my ecu multiple times. Please give me some more places to check. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

To elaborate on the unplugging of the iacv. It's supposed to idle high or bog depending on which motor but It does nothing when it's unhooked, just runs the same. Aka running like sh!t.

***multiple posts merged into one to keep information in the same post. -Staff***

Last edited by a moderator:

kurt.reeder88

Bump* I'm new to Hondas and really need to know where to go from here. Is it possible my timing is off by a tooth?