'98 Civic Hatch GS-R: SOLD!

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Muffler looks fine man. Way better than some fat fart can hanging out from under it.

xpttcx

99 Honda Civic EX
5+ Year Member
Welcome! Looks like a great car to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gladiator

Respected
Muffler looks fine man. Way better than some fat fart can hanging out from under it.
I like it much better than the old muffler, but I'm still not a huge fan. I'll get it fixed one day - but that'll probably be when I redo the entire exhaust; header back.

EDIT: *not a huge fan of the way it's "turned"

Welcome! Looks like a great car to work with.
Thank you!

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congrats on being another satisfied owner of a used RSX-S muffler. Install a lip kit on that rear bumper and you'll be much more satisfied with the fit appearance.

Gladiator

Respected
Congrats on being another satisfied owner of a used RSX-S muffler. Install a lip kit on that rear bumper and you'll be much more satisfied with the fit appearance.
Thank you sir! I've joined the club! The sound is exactly what I was wanting. I'll get an audio clip of it this weekend and post it. Mine might sound a bit different than yours because of the GS-R motor, but I'm very happy with it over the other muffler.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yours better sound different than mine. It should sound good considering an RSX is a newer Us-relabaled Integra.

Last edited:

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Im really liking this. A hatch like yours is what i was looking for when i picked up my coupe and youre taking it in a similar direction. im trying to get my gsr motor rebuilt and into my coupe soon and seeing your progress gets me hyped.

Gladiator

Respected
Im really liking this. A hatch like yours is what i was looking for when i picked up my coupe and youre taking it in a similar direction. im trying to get my gsr motor rebuilt and into my coupe soon and seeing your progress gets me hyped.
Awesome man! I am 100% happy with doing the swap. This car is exactly what I had in mind for a fun daily driver.

Ordered a few little things yesterday for the car. New car alarm (old one is currently wigging out) and some new headlights (I'm done trying to clean, wet sand, buff, and reseal these things).

In other news, Steven's build is back on track. Ended up having to re-machine the head and block. Once it's all back together, getting it tuned is next. Expecting his setup to put down somewhere around 600whp.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
a nice set of ctr headlights would compliment this thing very well :cool:. im curious about those avid torque mounts. you said you were using innovative mounts right? how are the vibrations and engine movement?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm curious what your gas mileage will be. Let me know what you're averaging after a few fill-ups.

Gladiator

Respected
a nice set of ctr headlights would compliment this thing very well :cool:. im curious about those avid torque mounts. you said you were using innovative mounts right? how are the vibrations and engine movement?
Yep, you're on point. I ordered a set of CTR replica headlights. And yes, avid torque mounts along with innovative motor mounts. This being my first and only honda, I don't have anything to compare it to - however the car rides very well. Doesn't vibrate much, motor idles smooth, no squeaks or anything like that.

I'm curious what your gas mileage will be. Let me know what you're averaging after a few fill-ups.
You and me both! Just filled up the other day, about $20 now that I'm buying 93 octane. I'll report back when I fill up again. Considering that most of my driving is in the city, I'm hoping for high 20s...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depending on your driving, you may have a shot at low 30s being that the hatch (~2300lbs) is about 300lbs lighter than an Integra (~2650lbs).

Gladiator

Respected
Depending on your driving, you may have a shot at low 30s being that the hatch (~2300lbs) is about 300lbs lighter than an Integra (~2650lbs).
What are people usually seeing with my setup? I'm shifting earlier than 4300 RPM most of the time. Occasionally I'll open her up, but for the most part I drive like an old man.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I personally have no idea, but I've read and heard of similar set-ups getting anywhere around 5-10 MPG gains.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
well thats good to hear that the vibrations are minimal. ive never driven a honda with anything other than oem mounts. with those torque mounts combined with the solid urethane innovative mounts, i was worried my dash was gonna vibrate like crazy and drive me nuts. thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
are you running ac? also, what ecu are you running? i see your running a skunk 2 or similar intake manifold without the secondary runners like on a stock gsr.

Gladiator

Respected
I could get 32mpg in my 99 GSR in rural driving, you should be able to do at least that good.
If I got the same fuel economy as you, I would be ecstatic!

well thats good to hear that the vibrations are minimal. ive never driven a honda with anything other than oem mounts. with those torque mounts combined with the solid urethane innovative mounts, i was worried my dash was gonna vibrate like crazy and drive me nuts. thanks for the feedback :thumbup:
In all honesty, this ride is much smoother than when I had the D16 in it. So far so good! Are you planning on running the same mounts as me?

are you running ac? also, what ecu are you running? i see your running a skunk 2 or similar intake manifold without the secondary runners like on a stock gsr.
I don't have A/C hooked up yet - but yes, I live in Georgia. A/C is a must. Haha! The ECU is a P28, and the box said something along the lines of "Demon Inside" - I'm not sure if that's a custom chip or what (still new to this).

In other news, the valve cover desperately needed a paint job... so that was this weekend's project. Here are a few random pics! I had the wife stencil out the smaller letters... because women have smaller hands - and that's what they're for. Right? :P

After stripping the old paint off, ready for primer

Valve cover is primed, and the lettering was painted using a metallic silver. I stenciled the DOHC portion, while I gave the harder stenciling job to my wife.

Hit it with gloss black paint, let it dry overnight, then peeled off the tape to reveal the silver lettering.

This is where I'm at now, currently letting the clear coat dry. about 1 more hour to go before I reinstall. I think it came out pretty awesome!

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
VC looks nice, I take the lazy way and just sand the letters down after :lol: