98 Civic Lx Bogging

DirtySouth 98LX

I have a 98 civic lx, the body had 121,000 miles on it when I bought it. It had a problem with bogging down every now and then and the engine was very loud. Turns out the d16y7 was blown and I replaced it with a engine that has around 69,000 as well as new spark plugs. I also replaced the fans, ecu, IAC sensor, complete throttle body, fuel filter. I let the car warm up usually and then i start driving. 30 seconds to 2 mins after leaving the driveway it bogs down. It jerks around when this happens and i have to floor it to get to 3k rpms for it to keep going. Eventually the problem stops and the car begins to drive well, although it tries to stall when I stop sometimes at lights, I normally idle around 900/1k but it dies down to 300/400 rpms and i have to put it in neutral and rev it to keep it up. Its the last problem this honda has. I'm thinking a vacuum leak? or maybe old hoses?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it doesn't have the corresponding ECU for the engine you installed in then it will definitely lead to your issues. If it is the correct ECU then you must be getting Check-Engine codes so pull them.

DirtySouth 98LX

If it doesn't have the corresponding ECU for the engine you installed in then it will definitely lead to your issues. If it is the correct ECU then you must be getting Check-Engine codes so pull them.
Its actually a lot smoother with the new ecu

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Obviously not enough. Again, is it the correct ECU for the engine? Have you inspected the vacuum hoses? There aren't that many to check anyways.

DirtySouth 98LX

Obviously not enough. Again, is it the correct ECU for the engine? Have you inspected the vacuum hoses? There aren't that many to check anyways.
I havent but ill take it to my mechanic tomorrow to check them. And yes im sure its the correct ecu

daperez13

Respected
Have you checked timing? Definitely check for vacuum leaks; could be a hose or gasket. Any funny noises coming from your catalytic converter? If you are unable to completely remove it to inspect it, try disconnecting it after the exhaust manifold but before the cat and see if it runs better. It'll be loud.

Check spark and your fuel injectors. Check fuel pressure.

Do you have a CEL?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds like you might have a clogged cat, or a malfunctioning o2 sensor.

Also, clean the IACV.

DirtySouth 98LX

Sounds like you might have a clogged cat, or a malfunctioning o2 sensor.

Also, clean the IACV.
Have you checked timing? Definitely check for vacuum leaks; could be a hose or gasket. Any funny noises coming from your catalytic converter? If you are unable to completely remove it to inspect it, try disconnecting it after the exhaust manifold but before the cat and see if it runs better. It'll be loud.

Check spark and your fuel injectors. Check fuel pressure.

Do you have a CEL?
Okay i replaced the fuel pump and strainer today, wasnt the problem, my brakes are kinda lacking i have to push all the way down maybe its a vacuum leak. Im going to take it to my mechanic again tomorrow to see if its a clogged cat or o2 sensor. Fyi when it bogs it does sound clogged like something that is supposed to be in there isnt like a lack of air. Ill let you guys know the result tomorrow appreciate the guidance ✊

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Drive your car or maybe 5-10 minutes until its decently warmed up. If the catalytic is clogged then it may begin to glow red from the entrapped heat. If so then you found your culprit. You could temporarily fix it by removing the cat (after its cold, of course) and hone out all its guts. Itll be louder but at least it wont be clogged. That, or just take to a muffler shop & have it replaced.

DirtySouth 98LX

Drive your car or maybe 5-10 minutes until its decently warmed up. If the catalytic is clogged then it may begin to glow red from the entrapped heat. If so then you found your culprit. You could temporarily fix it by removing the cat (after its cold, of course) and hone out all its guts. Itll be louder but atleadt it wont be clogged. That, or just take to a muffler shop & have it replaced.
Ill check the cat when i get back home, fyi i replaced all the sensors and the iacv and iac sensors so it couldnt be those im thinking a cat, much love ill get back to you in a few hours

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is the CEL on? Does the CEL work? A clogged cat will many times show a P0420 code.

DirtySouth 98LX

Drive your car or maybe 5-10 minutes until its decently warmed up. If the catalytic is clogged then it may begin to glow red from the entrapped heat. If so then you found your culprit. You could temporarily fix it by removing the cat (after its cold, of course) and hone out all its guts. Itll be louder but at least it wont be clogged. That, or just take to a muffler shop & have it replaced.
Is the CEL on? Does the CEL work? A clogged cat will many times show a P0420 code.
Hey i cleaned out the cat and i still get the bogging problem it bogs sometimes under 3k rpms. Ive replaced so much in this car and i still have problems.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, Ive read you changing more parts than diagnosing and testing. Did you check if the cat glowed at all before choosing to gut it?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pull the primary o2 sensor and see if the bogging stops. If it does, replace that o2 sensor.

DirtySouth 98LX

Well, Ive read you changing more parts than diagnosing and testing. Did you check if the cat glowed at all before choosing to gut it?
Pull the primary o2 sensor and see if the bogging stops. If it does, replace that o2 sensor.
No it didnt glow. But now the car makes a metallic hissing noise when it bogs and i press the accelerator. Something like a mobile air compressor after you turn it off with air pressure in it, the purging.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It wasnt the o2 sensor and i got my cat replaced with a staight pipe. Ive teplaced so much in this car its really frustrating.
Well, you do seem to have a habit of replacing parts without troubleshooting so you can blame yourself on that one.

denisstranjina203

I would check all the sensors. make sure that there isn't any codes coming to you on the sensor. or have your mechanic if he can hook up a scan tool and display engine data and take a ride with him and try to duplicate the problem. if it doesn't duplicate then your out of luck a bit. if it does then check what sensor(s) changed and record it as a film as some things may be missed. Make sure everything is getting the right voltage and that all ground wires are in good condition. sometimes a ground that will short out for a second can cause a bogging condition. also check for leaks after the mass air flow sensor. Undetected air will cause the Ecu to no be able to compensate and then stall the engine. make sure all is good with the vacuum hoses and replace as needed. try to diagnose not throw parts at it. looks like its getting expensive!!!! I don't want you wasting all the money just to end up getting rid of the car. my problem with my d16y7 was the MAF and the IAC. those played a major roll in poor engine performance and stalling.