98 Civic LX misfires when it rains hard

twisted51

So this is kind of an odd issue.

98 Honda Civic LX - 174k miles.
Runs pretty well under normal circumstances.

On 3 separate occasions during heavy rainfall, this car will begin to misfire and not want to accelerate. The Check Engine light will being to flash until I am able to pull over and shut the car off. Car will idle normally, but if I let it shut it down and let it sit for < 5 minutes or so, the car will start up and run fine even if it is still raining.

Here's the weird part but likely just a coincidence - this has happened in the exact same spot of the same road all 3 times. It is on a highway that I take to work everyday, and I don't reach this part of the highway until about 25 minutes into my commute. It can be pouring the entire time, and it will not happen until that spot of the road. If it's a light rain or even steady, there's no issue - only during a downpour.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to do any diagnosing when it occurs as I have been trying to get to work each time its happened, but other than obvious things, I'm not even sure where to look. When I scan it, it always throws misfire codes for each individual cylinder and a random/multiple cylinder misfire code.

I've owned this car for about a year, and during that time I've replaced the spark plugs and wires along with the distributor cap and rotor. The plugs aren't getting wet and there's no water getting into the cap that I can see.

Any ideas?

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
+1 I had the same issue when I bought my 98. Turns out there was no gasket, and the inside of the cap looked like this...

Dizzy Cap https://imgur.com/a/Cdrq3

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@twisted51 , inspect all your ground wires, including both wires at the battery and ensure the battery is securely fastened. If its not the distributor seal as the others suggested, it might be a loose cable or connection that when wet creates a slight short. If this stretch of highway has a dip or sudden angle then weight shift or ground water splash are leading to the issue.

@Brak , I fixed the image link and merged the two posts. Realize there's an edit option and take a look at the link info, which it seems that you didn't copy the correct URL.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
@Brak , I fixed the image link and merged the two posts. Realize there's an edit option and take a look at the link info, which it seems that you didn't copy the correct URL.
Thanks. tapatalk wouldn't let me edit the post, and i can't access imgur at work, in order to verify the link. was going to fix it later

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tapatalk sucks for this forum. You're far better off using your mobile web browser.